Automatically updated to 13

There’s a issue which was just discovered and fixed around this: 0.13.1 (literally just released) will fix it.

No.

What’s the “Syncthing backup”? You can move the config file and database, but you’ll have to tell syncthing.exe where you’ve put it using the -home parameter.

Read the release note for 0.13.0 please: this was described as a known issue.

Thank you, that is kind of funny that had this updated to 0.13.1, this issue would not have been encountered.

The backup file that @calmh had referred to in his last reply. I guess both the config and database file can be found with syncthing -help ? Those are the only files I need to move and then tell syncthing where they are located using the -home parameter?

Thanks, I will. So I guess this should correct itself once it’s done synchronizing? All the folders are up to date now, there something else involved to be fully synchronized?

Syncthing’s home folder contains the config file, the index, and backups of old config versions. You have to move them all together, or none at all.

Yes: it’s a cosmetic bug only, and should only appear while synchronizing.

I’m not sure what you mean here I’m afraid.

Ok, thank you, I will do this later today.

I could be misunderstanding what is meant by “synchronizing”.

In the Web UI, all the folders I’ve set to be synced on both servers are showing as Up to Date. Would this be considered as synchronizing being finished? If it is, why is the cosmetic bug still there?

I think this might be because you’ve finished downloading everything in that folder, but the other device hasn’t finished downloading everything from you? I’m pretty hazy on what the different synchronizing statuses mean, so I’ll let someone else correct me here.

Best sync status ever:

4 Likes

You’re good for the rest of the year!

1 Like

I don’t think that’s it since both are synced now. I would have heard by now if they hadn’t been. Actually the % increased on both now. One is 393 and the other is at 244. It’s working, so it doesn’t really matter as long as it doesn’t break the sync. Just a curiosity.

What about that:

or that

2 Likes

1 Like

It seems everyone apart from me are able to reproduce this. I guess my small test setups just aren’t good enough, and I don’t actually use syncthing to have a real working set to repro this.

If someone has any clue how to repro, I’d be grateful.

fun fact: if you add all numbers of the second screenshot you get 42

I also have never seen this bug in the wild (using 10+ Syncthings with 250k+ files)

So I tried this now on version v0.13.1 on a test machine but can’t get it work. I found the current path with syncthing -paths

Then I copied all those files into a new path. Pointed it to the new path using syncthing -home="path"

Syncthing starts and I see on the file timestamps that it’s accessing the files in the new path. However, if I do syncthing -paths again, it is still set to the old path.

When I restart Syncthing, it starts using the old path. It creates new files in that path if none are there.

Am I missing a step?

You need to start syncthing with -home="path", always, until the end of time.

I’m guessing that you ran syncthing -paths not syncthing -home="path" -paths? Likewise that you restarted it without specifying -home="path"?

Yes and yes. Ok, I was able to get it working doing what you said.

I thought running -home="path" once would update the default paths forever.

Where would it store that? It can’t store it in its config, because you moved that and it doesn’t know how to find it…

@JacksonHell

On my Windows machine, I also have a non-standard path to the folder containing my config files. To save typing, I created a batch file called StStart that looks like this:

start “Syncthing” syncthing.exe -no-console home=F:\Syncthing_Cfg

“-no-console” (optional) hides the command box and the WebUI opens immediately

I created a shortcut to the batch file in my Start menu, and gave it a Syncthing icon to pretty it up.

Well, I did also try it without moving files and saw the same behavior. I guess it’s not designed to store this information yet?

Thanks, I might do the same on mine.

Not sure what you mean here? Tried what without moving files? Saw what same behaviour? Store what information?

1. Tried changing the default path without moving the syncthing files from the original path.

2. I saw the same behavior meaning: It created a new database/files/config at the new path but when restarting would use the original syncthing files in the old path. Because I didn’t specify "-home="path" when restarting.

3. Nowhere to store the updated path information entered using -home="path". Or I don’t know if there is another way to permanently update the paths so that -home="path" doesn’t have to be entered every time syncthing is started.