Automatically updated to 13

I noticed my two servers were not syncing and restarted synthing thinking that would fix the problem. However, checking the logs kept showing an “unknown protocol error 0x9”. I then noticed that for some reason the synthing on one server updated to 13 while the other one is running version 0.11.18. Is there an automatic update setting I should check so this doesn’t happen again?

Now I am trying to update the v0.11.18 version since apparently the two are not compatible but clicking on update flashes a message quickly on the screen and then nothing else.

Any suggestions on how I can update this so they can connect again?

You could just download the latest release from GitHub. Syncthing doesn’t automatically upgrade to new major releases, though. There could be a bug in that old v0.11 release but then I don’t see why it hasn’t already updated itself to v0.12…

Syncthing seems to updated automatically using the apt.syncthing.net repository on my Ubuntu 14.04 server too.

Here’s the cron-apt log from yesterday afternoon

CRON-APT RUN [/etc/cron-apt/config]: Tue May 17 14:08:01 CEST 2016
CRON-APT SLEEP: 2631, Tue May 17 14:51:52 CEST 2016
CRON-APT ACTION: 3-download
CRON-APT LINE: /usr/bin/apt-get -o quiet=1 dist-upgrade -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages will be upgraded:
  syncthing
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4761 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://apt.syncthing.net/ syncthing/release syncthing amd64 0.13.0 [4761 kB]
Fetched 4761 kB in 0s (17.9 MB/s)
(Reading database ... 137384 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../syncthing_0.13.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking syncthing (0.13.0) over (0.12.24) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up syncthing (0.13.0) ...

EDIT: Just realised that’s exactly what this machine was supposed to do. What confused me is that my non-Ubuntu/Debian machine didn’t update and I had no idea at first what broke my syncronisation.

Right. “Our” (non-APT) binaries don’t automatically update to an incompatible version. The APT archive doesn’t have that distinction currently, so it does.

Requires configuring updates to the latest stable version for the PC. Because Android is automatically updated to the latest stable version. Not to break the synchronization between phone and PC.

Ok, is upgrading as simple as downloading the release from the site and running it?

I did that but am seeing some settings have been changed. Previously, in the GUI i had the option to EnableUPnP set and was using udp4://announce.syncthing.net:22026 and udp6://… as the Global Discovery Servers.

Now I see only the option to Enable NAT traversal.

Is it still possible to change this? The devices are not even able to see each other now. The log ends with INFO: Detected 0 NAT devices.

No, downgrading won’t work, as the database format has changed You will have to rename a bunch of things to make it happen.

I’m not looking to downgrade. Just asking if UpNp is supported in the new release and how to enable it. I didn’t set this up originally so I’m looking at how this was done originally between these two machines.

It’s supported and enabled. The setting was renamed to nat traversal is it now traverses using nat-pnp, not only upnp.

Ok, well this is still not working after I enable that. I put in the udp4 and udp6 announce servers in the global discovery. I get an error saying “unsupported scheme udp4” and “unsupported scheme udp6”

You mentioned downgrading is not an option because of the database. Is it possible to clear/delete the database so I can download and use the v0.11.18 again?

Udp discovery servers are long gone (like 6+ months), I have no idea what you are trying to do, but your setup seems a mess.

If you want to roll back to 0.11, it’s probably best to start from scratch.

The UDP servers were listed in the Web UI config of the machine which was still using v0.11.18 which is why I thought that setting was still relevant. Seems not.

If I want to start from scratch, it seems I would have to clear the database? Where is this located on a Windows Server 2008 machine?

Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Also, on this new version, why is it saying no NAT device detected? v0.11.18 was working fine until yesterday when one of the machine updated to the latest version.

There’s no need to start from scratch. The database is still there, untouched, and the config is backed up as config.xml.{some-number}. But you should really leave that behind and move forward, v0.11 was discontinued in november last year. UDP discovery hasn’t been used in v0.12, which is now also obsolete.

I would prefer not to roll back but really need to get this working again because it was syncing critical files.

I know the old version was working since it files were syncing fine last week. Now, due to the update I am getting the INFO: Detected 0 NAT devices.

If the UDP discovery servers were taken offline, how has this been working, can this be checked in the logs?

No, the old discovery server is still running. It’s just not used by modern Syncthing any more. I don’t know why the NAT discovery isn’t working, but we’ve changed a lot in that area in the 10 months since the release you were running…

Are you sure that NAT discovery works in the old version?

@calmh Trying to resolve this now but if I can’t figure it out could you point me in the direction of where I need to go to clear the new database so I can rollback?

@AudriusButkevicius As far as I can tell it was using the udp announcement servers since I saw this in the config before I updated. I’m not sure if NAT discovery was working originally.

Find the config directory. Running syncthing -help will tell you where that is.

In there, copy the backup file config.xml.v10 over config.xml.

Remove the directory index-v0.13.0.db and all it’s contents.

Run v0.11.18. That should be all there is to it.

@calmh Thank you, managed to get it working anyway. I had overlooked specifying the port in the address field for the other machine.

I have a few other questions but let me know if these are better addressed in a separate topic.

1. I want to move the syncthing.exe executable to another folder. Do I need to make any changes before doing this?

2. I want to change the location of the syncthing backup, config and any other files syncthing uses to function. What is involved in doing this?

3. One of the machines is showing Syncing (111%) as the status. The sync is fine so this seems cosmetic only. How can this be fixed?