Auto Start Syncthing on Raspberry Pi

Hi, I have just installed Syncthing to sync files between a Raspberry PI 3b+ and a Windows PC and it works brilliantly.

But once I reboot the Raspberry Pi I’m struggling to restart Syncthing without double clicking the executable each time before opening the GUI.

Is there a command that I can use in terminal?

What I would really like to do is add it to /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn’t find anything.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

If you installed through apt (apt.history.netapt.syncthing.net), copy the desktop file from /usr/share/applications, otherwise you can get it from here: https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/tree/master/etc/linux-desktop

ok thanks for your prompt reply, I didn’t install from apt.history.net but from the download on the Syncthing site. I don’t completely understand what I need to do but I’ll have a play with it tomorrow. Thanks, Pete

Add

Thanks I’ll look at it.

As I’m going to be installing this on several Raspberry Pi systems is there a better download that I should be using that includes the desktop elements?

Pete

If you use debian or a derivative (Ubuntu, Mint, …) I’d install with apt after adding Syncthing’s repo apt.syncthing.net.

Thanks, I’m using Raspbian which is the Raspberry Pi Debian based OS.

I only discovered Syncthing yesterday so i’m not familiar with it at all, what is Syncthing’s repo and where can I find it? (I cant find any mention on your link)

Also following the link I see different versions of installation which only seem to vary by how often they get updated. All the Raspberry Pi I will add this to are remote to me, so will I have to manage these regular updates?

Thanks very much for your help, Pete

That’s the repo (repository): https://apt.syncthing.net/.

Just use stable.

Read up on how packages/installs/updates work on debian with apt, this is not syncthing specific. You should for example setup automatic installs of security updates (unless raspbian already did that for you) and you could do the same to auto-update syncthing.

2 Likes

(imsodin’s mentions of apt.history.net are typos, they meant apt.syncthing.net : - )

As discussed, having a basic working knowledge of apt will help your Raspberry Pi travels. Brief guide here, the syncthing apt page then gives you the instructions on how to add their repo source and get installed. You may need to install curl beforehand as it may not be installed by default.

The Raspberry Pi 3’s OS uses “systemd” to manage, amongst many things, programs that run on start-up.

If you’re installing to many systems and/or want syncthing to start up without a user having to login, it’s pretty simple to have systemd enable auto-start of syncthing. For the pi user, for example, use this command in the terminal:

sudo systemctl enable syncthing@pi.service

This enables it for auto-start for the pi user, whether they login or not. Once enabled you’ll need to start it this time manually, replacing enable with start.

3 Likes

I have it working well now thanks to your help, so thanks very much. Pete

2 Likes

You may wish to delay syncthing’s start until the time has been set. See https://forum.syncthing.net/t/pi-no-rtc-correct-syncthing-time/14627

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.