Anecdote: Warn users about data usage or default to wifi only settings.

I recently bumped into Syncthing in a list of the top must-have android tools and I must say I’m really impressed. The software is relatively easy to use, and seems extremely versatile.

Maybe too versatile! I’ll tell you why:

See, very little software is capable of NAT hole punching out of the box. Most network tools force a user to jump through hoops to forward ports if they want to offer a service outside of their LAN.

Needless to say, I was quite surprised when, after starting a 30gb sync of media between my desktop and phone, I left my house for an hour and burned through 2.5gb of my data package before returning.

Now this is a really cool feature, however I really wish I would have been told about it so I could turn it off during my initial sync period. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that many people may prefer the “sync only while at home” option by default, but that is a subjective opinion.

Anyway, I love this tool, and simply wanted to give some feedback. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Haha, the same problem I had :confused:

There’s an issue for this, but it’s somewhat complicated to solve. So far, no one had the time to work on it (and I’m currently too busy).

1 Like