Android: `.stversions` populates on move and rename

Is it correct to say that Syncthing for Android lacks the ability to move and rename files and directories?

Seemingly any attempt to perform such operations remotely, places a copy of the files into .stversions on the Android device, when I have “simple file versioning” enabled.

I wouldn’t mind so much having to delete all the duplicated files from .stversions, but they will result in confusion if I ever need to recover an accidentally deleted file.

That indeed seems to be the case, but I don’t think it’s got anything to do with Android. I can see the very same behaviour in Windows. I don’t believe there’s any way to work around it unless you set up a custom script to be used with external versioning. Not sure how usable external versioning itself is in Android though.

That is curious indeed! Are you experiencing the same situation when you use other types of versioning besides “simple file versioning” in Syncthing?

I think this is the general behaviour for any type of versioning (other than external). For the record, I’ve done my testing with staggered.

Just a side note, but simple versioning at the moment is kind of broken (see https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/7988).

1 Like

After thinking about the phenomenon a bit more, and playing with the behavior when renaming files…It occurs to me that this is probably not a bug, but a feature: It provides versioning of files’ names in addition to the mtime and contents! Actually rather thoughtful of the developers to include that, even if it can be a bit cumbersome.

Yes, renames/moves leaving versions behind is intentional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.