Android One Way Backup Photos and IgnoreDeletes

Hey there,

I have backup my DCIM folder on my PC and it syncs successfully. The issue that I have is with IgnoreDeletes.

The functionality I am looking for is to simply backup my android to my pc and when I delete a file from my phone it should not be deleted from the pc and if I delete any file from the pc it should not delete on the phone as well.

In short, I am looking to back up my android and not sync per se.

I have set the IgnoreDeletes on both pc and android folders as true. I have the android set as sendOnly and the PC set as ReceiveOnly.

The problem that I have is that If now I delete from any device, I get a local prompt saying that I am out of sync and an option to Revert Local Changes.

So the question is do I just ignore the warning? What if there were some sync issues and i want to revert changes?

What is the solution here?

PS: Also do recommend any other software as I am aware that syncthing is more of a syncing software than a backup one. But the WIFI sync is so got I want this to work.

This is normal and expected. You can safely ignore the warning.

If you want a cleaner approach, I’d suggest experimenting with File Versioning (see https://docs.syncthing.net/users/versioning.html).

I recommend that you use TWO tools:

1. Syncthing configured for normal default sync (NOT with IgnoreDelete) to sync the photos with computer. As you know already, Syncthing is a sync tool.
  2. A backup tool to back up the photos on the computer. Maybe Restic?
1 Like

Maybe your setup is a little over-done. My setup for pictures from my android: The android is serving the pictures as the default ‘camera’: The kind of map is ‘send only’. This is synced to my server where it is a normal map, dedicated for this android device. Each android has its own camera-directory this way. On this map I set the file-versioning to ‘simple file versioning’. With this, I can delete pictures from my android and they appear to be deleted on the server. However, with ‘simple file versioning’ they are moved to the .stfolder .

WIth this I have these android-pictures directory on the server in sync with the laptop so they both get all pictures and updates. Both the server and the laptop have the ‘simple file versioning’ setting.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.