Airplane mode / Syncthing-Android in multi-user environment

Hope to support the ability to connect with local users in airplane mode. Because I use multi-user mode, but I can’t search for other saved users under no network conditions.

What do you mean by local users - users on the same LAN or different user profiles on the same phone? The latter is not supported. Whether it works at all or not isn’t entirely clear, I remember both users reporting it does as well as it doesn’t. And even if it works, I’d be very surprised if android let Syncthing instances of different users run at the same time, so that they could communicate.
And I am probably misunderstanding anyway, because I don’t see how airplane mode comes into all of this.

And even if it works, I’d be very surprised if android let Syncthing instances of different users run at the same time, so that they could communicate.

That’s the point. I think it might work if the OS is not too restrictive (Android <= 10). But two app instances execution in parallel is not advised on Android, technically one could configure one official Syncthing App instance and one forked app instance and then ensure only one is running at the same time for configuration purposes. You would then resolve port conflicts (22000 → 22001, 8384 → 8385) by reconfiguring listening ports on one of the two instances. After all has been set up correctly, both apps can be used at the same time.

It’s nothing specific to the forked app except that it contains the syncthing process given another name to avoid conflicts in the wrapper code of both app variants . That opens theoretically the way to have two Syncthing’s on one Android device. (But both will cost you double the battery! :battery: )

Maybe some notifications will get confusing if one does not pay extra attention to which app they belong. The in-app log viewer might not work due to package name conflicts.

I have successfully run two instances using two different ports. I don’t want to run two instances for a long time, so I don’t need to consider power consumption. I just want to achieve a normal connection without network (airplane mode). I don’t know the device search connection mechanism of syncthing, and I don’t know if it can be realized.

You likely need to add the device addresses manually: Go to the web UI, select the remote device and in the address field add whatever you configured (e.g. tcp://localhost:22001)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.