A less power hungry Syncthing

I am trying Syncthing and although the distributed sync is amazing, I am having some problems getting around how power hungry it is. It is a pain to run on Raspyberry Pi and it eats away my tablet and phone battery.

Is there a guide about how to get around these issues? Like one-shot manual sync without the daemon always running?

I think you are in the wrong forum, for everything related to Seafile you will likely find more help at https://forum.seafile.com/

But since you are in the Syncthing forum, please feel free to try this great software as a possible sync solution!

OMG! my bad, I’ve been playing today with similar tools and I got the name wrong. Syncthing is the one with the “distributed sync” I like so much. I am trying Seafile now but has some gotchas I do not like.

Looks like I cant edit, so I will delete and repost. Thanks!

UPDATE: looks like I cant. Could you delete this topic?

I think this is a very common case for most syncthing users. IMHO syncthing should be used from server-server or desktop-server setups. And e.g Nextcloud as a frontend for mobiles (or some other web gui). It eats a lot of power due to hashing and indexing which nextcloud doesn’t. And it is necessary to make sure the files are correctly in sync. Correct me if i’m wrong.

I suppose you could toggle the ‘Run on Wi-Fi’ setting in the ‘Run Conditions’ settings in the mobile app, only having it on temporarily when you want “a” sync to occur. And maybe you could simply stop/start the service on the Pi?

I haven’t run Syncthing on a Pi, but I run Syncthing on my tablets… large and small. I don’t see any (negative) impact on the battery, and I use the always-run-in-background mode. Lots of folders too. I’m curious as to what conditions trigger the issues some people observe w.r.t. power.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.