Workaround for networks which do not allow devices to reach each other (NO RELAYS)

I am using a restrictive network which does not allow devices to reach each other and I cannot change the network’s router settings. Additionally, I cannot use Relays in my scenario.

Given those constraints, I am thinking of buying a portable router which could provide a private LAN for my devices. First, I would connect the devices to the portable router, thus they would be able to reach each other through the router’s LAN. Second, I would connect the portable router to the restrictive network, such that my devices could still reach the restrictive network through the router. While I was wondering about this arrangement, I searched for portable routers throughout online stores, then I found the TL-WR902AC, which perhaps would enable the use-case that I just described.

Does this sound feasible? I have a limited knowledge of networks, so I don’t know if I am missing something. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

That sounds possible. Are your devices on the same LAN when they don’t get a connection? If so, it’s rather unlikely but the switch could be configured to block broadcast traffic that Syncthing uses for local discovery.

If they’re on a WLAN, it’s much more likely that the access point is applying client isolation, thus blocking any direct connections between Wi-Fi clients.

In both cases, your local portable router setup should be able to work around these limitations.

What other restrictions have you identified in the network? Blocking of Syncthing servers? I know Fortinet “security” / router appliances for example block anything Syncthing-related as “bad-ass P2P” software. Even access to the forum :frowning_face:

Yes, it’s a WLAN and all of the devices are in the same network. I don’t know what is causing it, but I cannot even ping other devices by their IP.

I am able to access the Syncthing forum, but it seems like I am not able to use the community relays in any of the devices. I did not notice this before because I always use Syncthing with a LAN setup.

Thank you for the input! I’ve ordered one portable router. It should be delivered next week, so I’ll try to update here after I set it up and try it out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.