What to do when "override changes" doesn't work

Hi,

I had a raspberry pi with a hard drive used for permanently online syncing. But the rpi died. After few weeks, I exchanged the hard drive for a new one (copy pasted all the content), bought a new rpi and configured it again to sync stuff.

However, in the meantime I made some “big” changes on the data (on the non-rpi computer), like creating new updated files and moving folders and files from one location to another. As such the contents of the rpi-hard disk were kind of old.

That said, I thought the best way was to syncronize folders that are MASTER in the non-rpi computer, so that the rpi data will be updated no matter what.

As expected, the non-rpi computer shows several Out Of Sync with the Override Button right there.

The problem: While some (I think one or two) folders appear as OK now, the rest of them (7-8) appear as Out Of Sync, a status that doesn’t disappear by clicking the Override Button.

The files that are out of sync are actually files that should be deleted in the rpi-hard disk. This is a NTFS 1Tb disk, and syncthing can delete files there (this has happened in the folders that have correctly sync’ed after the Override button).

What can I do? I don’t dare to un-master the folders since I think they can go back to old file versions. Is there any solution?

Thanks,

Perhaps RPI is just slow at dealing with the “Override changes”?

It doesn’t make any change, there’s the same files there, and I’ve been the whole day pressing the button(s) from now and then.

Definitively it’s like the rpi is ignoring this and not deleting the files.

Run it with STTRACE=scanner,model env var on the PI, press the button on other machine a few timea and post the logs.

*How should I grab the logs? silly question, but I have everything in the stdout, don’t see a way to copy all of it …

Pipe it to a file?

Yes, done, I’ve PM the file to you

Looking at the logs, it is like this is repeated for different files, perhaps is a problem with Permissions? But if I ls -l the contents of the (usb) hard disk, I see all of them being -rwxrwxrwx

[SQTME] 2016/08/05 06:16:46.729762 walk.go:318: DEBUG: rescan: File{Name:"PD files/2012.03.15 - orbi C - ACN precipitations/20120315-orbiC-ACN50-8gl_5ul_99_2p_proteingroups.txt", Type:FILE, LocalVersion:31481, Permissions:0644, Modified:1370026790, Version:{[{GYRLQSY 1} {SQTME2M 6} {4T3HJ65 6}]}, Length:14296, Deleted:false, Invalid:false, NoPermissions:false, Blocks:[Block{0/14296/bb8022ae9225a18ea527eddebaac7b2eba1ba5b0242561686c69e2b3dd67babf}]} 1370026790 -rwxrwxrwx

Yes, looks like it, you have ignore permissions on one sode but not the other maybe? Or rpi filesystem has permissions disabled and un-ajustable?

I didn’t have any “ignore permissions”, but I’m playing with it now. The rpi has a NTFS fs and the non-rpi a … it must be another NTFS fs, so I guess it’d be wise to ignore permissions in all sides and for all folders? Is it an official suggestion when not using e.g. ext4 fs?

Well check if all aodes are respecting permissions (not ignoring them), that they are ajustable, and that files are owned by the right user.

Linux can’t handle NTFS permissions very well. You should ignore them on the rpi, or better yet use a Linux fs like ext4.

1 Like

This has made me think about whether I was mounting well the usb in the fstab. And I’ve noticed that I wasn’t including the permissions flag there. I am now, but still doesn’t make a difference. I am going to add the ignore permissions on the rpi and see how it goes.

So far, ignoring permissions on the rpi side seems to work …

If you only use that disk on the pi you should still switch to a linux filesystem as reading/writing NTFS needs a lot of CPU and syncthing should get as much as possible of the little bit of power available :wink:

1 Like

And that’s definitively something I will consider. I however ignore how well these filesystems are understood by windows, since I imagine I will at some point access the hard disk directly from it.

Still, I more or less managed well in the past with a NTFS hard drive and that was with a rpi2, now with the rpi3 it should be better. But you’re right, and I’ll probably will do it :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.