What should I not use syncthing for?

The FAQ answers this.

But what is the worst case that can happen? Will I still have my data? Or could I loose my data too? Should I have a second copy of my files in non-synced folders?

You should have multiple backups of any file you care about, regardless of whether or not you let Syncthing touch it.

But, Syncthing has been “safe” in my experience. I haven’t heard of any catastrophes from people using it.

There are still some issues being worked out. For example, internal database corruptions for some users: Panic: leveldb/table: corruption on data-block

Your worst case scenario for any program that modifies your data is that your data is corrupted or lost.

However Syncthing is quite well used now and cases like this are extremely rare (check these forums). I have personally never had an issue.

Do backups and you should be fine.

1 Like

There was a case of one guy who lost a fair few files after initial synchronization - I don’t know precisely what happened, but suspect it’s likely he did something slightly odd. Either way, I’d make sure I have a full backup of everything before letting Syncthing near it, but then I’d make sure I have a full backup of everything before letting anything near it…