user process and multiple users means multiple instances?

I am just trying to make sure I understand something about how Syncthing works.

On *nix, Syncthing runs as a user process. This is what gives it read/write access to the user’s files/folders. Correct?

That means, if I wanted to sync for multiple users, I would need to enable/start multiple systemd instances, right?

systemctl enable syncthing@user1.service
systemctl start syncthing@user1.service

systemctl enable syncthing@user2.service
systemctl start syncthing@user2.service

systemctl enable syncthing@user3.service
systemctl start syncthing@user3.service

Is my understanding correct?

Also, on a tangent, does anyone know where the Syncthing/etc/linux-systemd/system/syncthing@.service folder/file is when using the Debian packages from https://apt.syncthing.net/?

Yes. You might also want to configure fixed-nonstandard web UI ports, otherwise Syncthing will assign all but the first one (8384) a random port. Depending on your network/router setup you might also need to assign different listening ports.

They’re in /lib/systemd/system/ (dpkg --listfiles syncthing helps finding stuff, or slower apt-file search syncthing@.service).

Thank you! I will play with it more this week. Now that I understand how Syncthing works I have a fantastic idea for a self-hosted web access solution for your files using Syncthing as the back-end. Might try to develop it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.