Useful .stignore Patterns

You’re welcome! Almost all of the activity has been in the last few days; I guess there are a lot more people here than there were in mid-October 2014 :smile:.

Are you sure you don’t want those synced? They’re there to try to prevent multiple people from editing a file at the same time. Sure, if you’re the only person on all the peers, that’s not much of an issue (unless you leave it open/unsaved on one machine while trying to open it on another). But if you’re syncing between multiple people, it could be very useful. Plus, they’re very small files, just describing who has the document open for editing, so they aren’t causing a lot of churn.

Thoughts?

No; I was waiting for an answer on my question about Synology devices, but then I forgot :stuck_out_tongue:. But either way, @eaDir should be there.

Ah yes :smile:. I fixed the link, but forgot the text.

Thanks!

There are indeed, that’s a fantastic thing! Thank you for making this useful list!

@robsonsobral I think transferring lock files for LibreOffice makes sense, especially if you’re using inotify. This prevents document over-writing with 2 users writing to the same file.

Are you seeing a lot of file churn with LibreOffice temp files?

1 Like

Ok, guys! You’re both right! Let’s keep the lock files free from chains!

@Cyphase, you can improve the comment on @eaDir folders. They are used for thumbnail files associated with media services on Synology. (Meaning: the Synology version of Thumbs.db.)

2 Likes

I was going to mention another option is @Cyphase could include the LO temp files if you’re seeing a problem with them, but include a warning as to the importance of them.

1 Like

I double checked it is *.!sync

1 Like

Thanks, @xHN35RQ. There’s no need. I’m fine! You made an excellent point on them.

1 Like

You are right, excluding only @eaDir does the trick.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve got a naive question, sorry for that: How do you create the .stglobalignore file on windows? Even by renaming a copy of the .stignore file the system keeps thinking that stglobalignore is the extension and prompting me to enter a filename…

Thank you!!!

1 Like

To create a file without a name, just an extension, is tricky on windows, but not so hard.

Try:

.filename.

Windows will remove the last dot and you’ll get:

.filename
4 Likes

I’m sorry for the dumb question. Where should I save the .stgloablignore?

I don’t know of anybody trying to sync a folder which is also on Dropbox, but… DropBox files:

• .dropbox
  • .dropbox.attr

One pattern should be enough for both.

1 Like

There is no .stglobalignore

2 Likes

From what I understand we can just put it in the synced folder so that it “travels” with the regular files to the other peers. There, since the .stignore file has been manually set to refer to .stglobalignore (cf first post), it will be taken into account in due time. So probably the name of the file doesn’t matter, provided all the peers have the same reference in their .stignore files for the given folder. Or else i did not understand anything and please correct me!

1 Like

I guess we are both confuse. Maybe… Who knows? WTH is .stglobalignore? Who killed Laura Palmer?

1 Like

For linux users

• .directory
  • Trash-*

This is correct.

(Discourse won’t let me post something smaller than 20 chars so please ignore this line)

2 Likes

Naming it .stglobalignore is just a convention. You can name it whatever you want, as long as it’s included from your .stignore file.

Spoiler alert!

I think you mean .Trash-* :smile:. But what’s .directory?

Oops - yes it should have been .Trash-*.

.directory may be a KDE thing. It is a meta data file that KDE apps write to (things like whether dot files are visible, the icon for that folder, etc), so every directory ends up with one. But it shouldn’t be synced.

:innocent: :innocent:

If there is a QNAP NAS client somewhere, ignoring the .@_thumb directory could be useful too…