Upgrade error: not a valid zip file

Hello, a W10 device in my cluster is having problems in upgrading to v0.14.28 The error message is: main.go:560: FATAL: Upgrade: zip: not a valid zip file Attached is the output of syncthing -upgrade executed with STTRACE=upgrade set. upgrade.txt (14.3 KB)

It is not a new issue. I am having it since a few months also on another W10 box when upgrading via the GUI button. In that case it was still possible to upgrade via the command line, so not a big issue. Now same problem from the command line. The zip file, if downloaded from the URL, is ok.

Best Toni

Version Information Syncthing Version: v0.14.27 OS Version: Windows 10

Disable any antivirus and proxies and then try again, is my first suggestion.

Got it! Variable all_proxy was set because we use to connect via Tor. Unsetting the variable before upgrading solves the problem. Do you have an idea of why it stopped working? Maybe something unexpected in the HTML headers when downloading the zip file via Tor?

Thanks a lot for your help! Bye

Does tor even have access to normal internet? As we don’t host upgrade servers on tor.

Yes, Tor has exit servers for that.

Probably your Tor exit node unpacked the zip file and inserted malware into the exe file, corrupting it in the process.

For some values of “probably”

It may be but I don’t think it’s the case. I have downloaded the zip file via Tor Browser and via normal browser and compared them with diff. They are identical. It only happens on Windows boxes. Linux boxes upgrade via Tor without problems.

Does syncthing raise the ‘not a valid zip file’ error when the exe file signature does not match?

I will investigate further and let you know if I find out what goes wrong.

No, at a guess that probably means the zip file is truncated, as the index is at the end of the file.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.