Undeletable folder

Hi there,

I’m using Syncthing on my: phone, laptop, server, and tablet. I’ve tried to synchronize 1 folder among all of them. Inside this folder there’re some other folders. File versioning turned on all the devices (since recently I’ve lost my 1 day progress due to troubled sync) as Staggered file versioning.

Now when all devices are connected I’m trying to move and delete some files and folders.

When I move/rename a file/folder. The new named entity is synchronized across the devices. However old entity is getting downloaded again on the device I was using. After several tries to delete the moved files they finally disappear.

However when I’m trying to delete a folder I can’t do that since one of the devices broadcasts the folder back.

I don’t know what to do with the issue, please help!

Something sounds very wrong. Syncthing shouldn’t be undeleting files that you’ve already removed. Are you sure there’s no other software that is interfering in the process (and restoring the files as a result)?

Can you post screenshots of the Syncthing Web GUI from all affected devices? Is there anything special about the files that you’re trying to delete?

Thanks for the response! Happy to hear the reply so swiftly (:

I guess the issue can be due to the fact that there’re many devices connected to each other.

> Syncthing shouldn’t be undeleting files that you’ve already removed.

I was also surprised to find that my yesterday job was lost :frowning: Syncthing must see the date of last edit and thus don’t undelete the thing.

> Are you sure there’s no other software that is interfering in the process (and restoring the files as a result)?

Don’t even know what kind of software should it be… Well, Great point! It can be my Nextcloud entity. Gotta check it out.

> Can you post screenshots of the Syncthing Web GUI from all affected devices?

Which parts of settings do you need to see?

> Is there anything special about the files that you’re trying to delete?

Nothing special just usual files and folders with no 3rd party app using them (on the active machine) at the delete time.

Is it possible to watch the log of this day to check for the incident? Like which device pushed the “undelete” request e.t.c?

After deleting the sync folder from Nextcloud the subfolder was succesfully deleted as well as some other files.

Moving a folder also happened with no troubles. Gotta check for further issues on this case. As of now the problem seems to be resolved! we’ll see further.

@tomasz86 , thanks a lot for your proper questions!) Could you answer mine then (especially on the logs part)?

It’s usually best to simply upload screenshots of the whole Web GUI, with the affected folders unfolded, errors visible, etc. You can obfuscate private information if there is any (e.g. in folder names, paths, etc.).

Please check https://docs.syncthing.net/dev/debugging.html, https://docs.syncthing.net/users/syncthing.html#cmdoption-audit, and https://docs.syncthing.net/users/syncthing.html#cmdoption-verbose. You probably want --audit, but please keep in mind that the logs can take a lot of space, and as such they may be quite difficult to parse.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.