Trying to understand a synchronization conflict

I use Obsidian to take notes. It uses plain text files that are not locked - I can remove them from the OS level (in Windows at least).

• the vault (the folder where the text files are stored) is shared with other devices via Syncthing, and by nothing else.
  • no other device is active

I started to get conflict files (I did not have them before, but never mind). I read Understanding Synchronization to try to hunt them down. The files are for instance

KPI.sync-conflict-20221108-145906-6ZDAKCM.md

From the documentation I get

• KPI: name of the file
  • sync-conflict: the name given by Syncthing
  • 20221108-145906: timestamp
  • 6ZDAKCM: modified by ← that one I am not clear

I did not find 6ZDAKCM anywhere (in the ID of the device or the share) so I do not really know who changed the file. What is this identifier?

More generally: how to best approach the search for a conflict reason?

In this case the cause the conflict is a buggy interaction with Android, so no need to look too deeply at that. Plenty of threads around, about it. As for the ID it is indeed the first part of the device ID that caused, or at least was involved in, the conflict.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. The fact that it appeared out of nowhere would be because of the fact that the issue is on that specific version.

Is this the “Identification” entry in the details of a device?

I have one Android device:

Yes, that entry. Click on it to see the full string. If it doesn’t match this device, look at the others sharing the affected folder.

Hmmm
 I checked all the devices that are defined in my Syncthing and none matches that string (to be clear: none of the full strings contain 6ZDAKCM at any place)

This can also be transitive so if you have a device that is only connected to some but not all devices, conflicts can show up from devices not directly connected.

Yes, I thought that too, but all the devices I have in that Syncthing instance are the ones defined (= this is the full list of devices)

1 Like

But are you certain that none of the other devices share the folder with a third party, so a device possibly not known to you? Like if you’re sharing with friends or family, one of them might have passed on the folder to their Android phone without your knowledge? Just a guess

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.