Synctrayzor: I can't get it to work

Hi all . . .

Syncthing always worked well. Then a 2/3 week stop to change PC, then I download Syncthing windows-amd64-v1.26.1, start it, the GUI appears, enter my login and password and Syncthing starts normally. Everything OK.

I subsequently downloaded and installed SyncTrayzorSetup-x64.exe version as of 11/14/2023.

When I start Synctrayzor from the icon that the installation process created on the desktop I get the warning “Syncthing has been terminated”. By clicking on the word “Start Syncthing” I receive the pop-up as shown in the image.

Obviously Syncthing is not running, in the Windows process manager I do not detect any instance attributable to Syncthing and if I try - as recommended - to terminate all Syncthing processes from the Synctrayzor menu: “Syncthing > Terminate all Syncthing processes” and try again I start up, I get the same warning.

In fact Syncthing does not start via Synctrayzor.

If requested I can post the Syncthing and Trayzor logs

Very kindly do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading me.

The suggestion from SyncTrayzor access problems (latest downloadable from the site) remains the same:)

Copy syncthing.exe from Syncthing windows-amd64-v1.26.1

Paste it in C:\Users\<You>\AppData\Roaming\SyncTrayzor

As described in GitHub - canton7/SyncTrayzor: Windows tray utility / filesystem watcher / launcher for Syncthing

The problem is that SyncTrayzor hasn’t been updated for over two years and defaultly ships with an old version of Syncthing. So when you actually first run 1.26.1, it creates a Syncthing configuration for that version…but that’s not directly compatible with the old version of Syncthing which SyncTrayzor uses/ships with.

So, really, if you want the icon, notifications and idk what else for reasons one has for using the wrapper then do the above. Otherwise you can just use syncthing.exe directly (your initial approach) and use the `http://127.0.0.1:8384’ url to manage it.

1 Like

Synctrayzor 1.1.29 is packaged with Syncthing 1.18.1. From your console it looks to be that Synctrayzor attempted to use Syncthing 1.18.1 instead of your Syncthing 1.26.1 executable. Likely your Syncthing 1.26.1 executable is not where Synctrayzor expected it to be. The Syncthing 1.18.1 executable failed to start due to reading in a newer config file than it expected. Synctrayzor only understands that the executable failed to run, so it has given an geneic failed to start error along with a solution for the presumed most likely cause.

The Syncthing binary that Synctrayzor 1.1.29 is packaged with has automatic upgrades enabled, so I would not recommend manual upgrades, unless you need to use a previously generated Syncthing config file for a Syncthing executable greater than 1.18.1.

There are two options if you need to use a previously generated config file from a version of Syncthing later than 1.18.1:

1. Allow Synctrayzor to initialize Syncthing once without your config file. Automatic upgrade will upgrade the Syncthing binary to the current stable release at startup. Then shutdown Syncthing so that you can replace the config file with your previously generated file.
  • The Syncthing config file will go C:\Users\<You>\AppData\Local\Syncthing
  1. Replace both the executable and config file.
  • The Syncthing executable will go C:\Users\<You>\AppData\Roaming\SyncTrayzor\
  • The Syncthing config file will go C:\Users\<You>\AppData\Local\Syncthing

Alternatively: You can use Syncthing Windows Setup if you want to run Syncthing for all users (as a Windows service):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.