Syncthing synology package does not start after update from 1.19.0 to 1.19-0.25

This is the last version package that is available on synocommunity. When doing this update, Syncthing crashes, and the Syncthing.log shows following message:

Fri Apr 1 19:10:38 CEST 2022 Begin service_prestart End service_prestart Starting Syncthing command /volume1/@appstore/Syncthing/bin/Syncthing serve --home=/volume1/@appdata/Syncthing [start] 19:10:38 INFO: Syncthing v1.19.0 “Fermium Flea” (go1.17.5 linux-amd64) root@publish 2022-02-03 19:51:15 UTC [start] 19:10:38 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use --allow-newer-config to override. [monitor] 19:10:38 INFO: Syncthing exited: exit status 1 [start] 19:10:39 INFO: Syncthing v1.19.0 “Fermium Flea” (go1.17.5 linux-amd64) root@publish 2022-02-03 19:51:15 UTC [start] 19:10:39 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (36) is newer than supported version (35). If this is expected, use --allow-newer-config to override. [monitor] 19:10:39 INFO: Syncthing exited: exit status 1

I cannot make Syncthing start through CLI with this option as I do not know where the executable is in the NAS/DSM file system. help welcome!

This is a known issue, tracked at Syncthing Not Starting, after update to 1.19.0.25 · Issue #5142 · SynoCommunity/spksrc · GitHub. A fix is already pending to be published as a package update. You could help with testing it in the linked pull request.

/volume1/@appstore/syncthing/bin/

1 Like

That won’t help though without also specifying the path to the correct home directory and running as a user with sufficient access rights to that. Not quite so easy on Synologys.

I think the minimum needed would be (and also independent from which volume it’s installed on):

sudo -u sc-syncthing /var/packages/syncthing/target/bin/syncthing --home /var/packages/syncthing/var/ --allow-newer-config

Pheeew! unpractical indeed. However useful in the short term. It worked to laucnh Syncthing and detected the upgrade to v1.19.1. Thanks for the info @acolomb and @Andy

Somewhat digressive, but for the sake of completeness …/target/… refers to the above directory /volume1/@appstore/Syncthing/

1 Like

Yes, on your system. But that depends on which volume was picked during installation. volume3 for example in my case. So I tend to cite generic paths that will work for whoever ends up reading this.

1 Like

That’s true of course, let’s assume that hopefully everyone knows where they install their APPs.

1 Like

I normally assume the exact opposite, actually :wink:. However, the people are work with are usually not very knowledgeable about computers in general, so there is that.

1 Like

I’m the type of guy @tomasz86 is talking about… IMO it would be better not to assume others know what we know, because mostly (99%), this assumption is false.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.