Syncthing on Raspberry Pi

Yeah, cgo compiled versions are not brilliant, you should try an official release. CPU profile gets written to file once every 20 or so seconds, so it might take a while.

The fact that it’s at 100% usage is no suprise if you are starting it for the first time, as it’s probably indexing files.

(Retitled, as this is now about syncthing and not pulse  :)

updated the raspberry because openssh, and done some new test.

it is really slow to start up, as it always has been (about 1-2 min even before http server is up), but now if no device are synching it trottle down to 6/10% cpu. much better than full CPU usage!

Still the profile’s flag does NOT work, it produce black file even after ~30 minute running.

Can you please tell me how to profile the application, to understand if it acting consistently between mine and your profiling?

Does Syncthing on Raspberry Pi require a lot of memory for the GPU?

In Raspbian there’s an option to adjust how much RAM is dedicated for the GPU and since I run Syncthing from the console and just ssh in, I was thinking of putting that down to like 4MB.

Would that be okay? Or does Syncthing make use of the GPU for hashing, etc.

I don’t think that Syncthing will use your GPU at all. @calmh should weigh in but I remember hearing that Go’s crypto routines (that is, hashing) are not at all optimized for ARM, let alone the Raspberry Pi hardware.

1 Like

Basically what @lfam said. No gpu is used or required.

I am using a Raspberry Pi too and I had a constant high of 90 to 100 percent CPU usage. It seems that this is caused by the file scanning and hashing.

In my case, a rescan takes almost two minutes. The folder is roughly 1500 files and 2.3 GB of data. I increased the scan time to 600s resulting in a CPU utilization of 3% when Syncthing is not scanning.

Same as thfr here. I’m syncing 56,026 files to a raspberry pi. Startup takes about 12-20 mins with 100% CPU load until all files have been scanned. Sync Interval has been set to 86400 secs (every 24h) and during that time (the interval) syncthing does not cause more than 5-10% of CPU load.

tl;dr :wink:
Syncthing works fine on a Raspberry Pi. Because of the limited CPU and RAM resources, the RPi is just sloooow. I’d give it a few hours before checking on the CPU load after a restart.

You should consider using syncthing-inotify [0] with Syncthing. That way, your changes can be synced almost instantaneously, without constantly scanning the filesystem for changes. It makes a big difference on low-power devices such as ARM boards and mobile phones.

[0]

If you’re running the RasPi only as a server, and don’t change anything on the device, you can get away with a scan interval of 0 (no rescans at all). But 86400 (daily) is probably safer just in case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.