Syncthing Management Platform

30 posts were split to a new topic: Separate/multiple API/GUI ports and authentication

That was kind of a tangent, and I think this discussion is valuable as is so I did some cleaning.

what I’ve done so far:

• responsive UI using SBadmin2
  • mysql-table for devices

6 Likes

is someone familar with php, angular and mysql and would like to help?

I’m familiar with PHP and MySQL, and would have some time to add a few features next week. What are you thinking you need?

My two cents, but if you’re only storing device IDs, MySQL seems a little overkill when SQLite or even a tiny plain text file could do the same job.

1 Like

this would be great - because my php & mysql skills are little more than basic skills and I will not have so much time the next 4 weeks :smile:

my idea was to build up a platform to “manage” multiple devices with only the most important features:

• adding devices to the stored devices
  • shutdown, reboot, upgrade the devices
  • showing dashboard info of the stored devices like online status, offline status, pings, down&upload rate
  • showing detailed info like connections between devices, ram&cpu usage etc.
  • managing discosrvs & rate limits

for the second “version” I could imagine some bulk actions, like adding discos (and folders) to all devices etc.

My problem: I’m not familar with asyncronus calling the api to show some live data on the dashboard (e.g.). but every skill is welcome!! :wink: I could open a git tomorrow - if you would like to have a look on it…

https://github.com/kreischweide/metrothing is back up!

everyone is invited to contribute and to upgrade it to 0.11 or 0.12 :sunglasses:

Thanks to Adrian @kreischweide ! :tada:

1 Like

This thread is old but I’m reviving it since I have a need for a Web management. :slight_smile:

I’m a senior web programming, and I need to management for more than 10 syncthing device.

Does anyone have a copy of Metrothing web? It could help to start without restart from zero. Also, I want to put it to Github so many people could use it.

Thanks!

It’s a Windows application, and not a Web application. :frowning:

And I sent a email yesterday to Eddy in case he had still the Web code somewhere. But it’s not on Github right now.

I’ve got no personal experience with this project, but it doesn’t seem that there was any publicly available version of that specific code. The “metro.thing” itself was a strictly Windows application (see https://forum.syncthing.net/t/metro-thing-multi-instance-monitoring-maybe-managment-app-for-windows/2137).

Oh ok. Because this message on this thread seems that Eddy worked with PHP.

Hey Guys,

thanks for the interest. Honestly there is no code for the Fromtend you see. These are only Mockups. And metrothing is not from me :wink:

sry Eddy

Thank you for the followup… I’d love to start from something, but I really need a WebUI. :slight_smile:

I may be misunderstanding (and I’ve never tried implementing it myself), but isn’t @calmh 's Arigi what you’re looking for?

https://arigi.kastelo.net

No, nobody should be looking at or for Arigi. It’s dead, let it rest in peace.

Haha - fair enough!

1 Like

Guys, anyone any idea if syncthing will always stay in the oldschool layout?

think of those nice tools like pihole, openmediavault, homeassistant, nextcloud and so on… they have a great usability. what about some for syncthing?

and if I think about setting up syncthing… :frowning: installing syncthing ist obviously still a challenge and needs much more skills in cmd. to install pihole it is just: “curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash” thats it!

I doubt that it will stay ‘old school’ forever. The wish for a more modern GUI with a more structured code-base behind it seems to be current, still. A couple weeks ago there was a minor thread about it; Status on new GUI - #33 by ssgtcookie. @ssgtcookie seemingly did some work to at least migrate to more up-to-date frameworks? No clue about the status.

Anyways, I think a whole GUI/layout-rework is mostly just a lot of work that nobody really picked up so far, at least not on the level that may be required.

And the installation process isn’t all too complicated is it? The configuration may need some wizard, so new users get guided a little. But I’m not sure that the installation process itself is too unfriendly currently.

I can’t do it, because even if obviously in jest it might cause reputational issues, but I’d really love to respond with a script like this for syncthing here, which then sends you to this wonderful place to prove a point: Any project recommending a “download stuff and pipe to bash” install method is just insane. And it doesn’t change anything that there likely is a disclaimer saying “don’t do it unless you reviewed the script”, because people won’t do it.

2 Likes