Syncthing Management Platform

I was thinking of a potential feature I’d like to bring up for discussion:

A Syncthing Device Manager.

For large clusters, it can be difficult/annoying to visit each device’s webpage to add a new device/folder to the cluster. With a feature like this, each device could specify a “device manager”. The device manager can then make changes to all devices that trust it: things like adding folders/devices, etc. Basically anything you could do locally from the device itself.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’d be fairly neat. Another idea I’ve floated once or twice but that I don’t think anyone else has picked up on is to use the CA system inherent in TLS. Normally we just go by explicitly trusted device IDs (essentially certificate pinning). But we might as well add the ability to trust any certificate (=device) signed by a local CA, thus having a potential master device able to automatically accept new peer devices.

2 Likes

need some little help: what is /rest/db/file expecting for retrieving file-info? the name does not work for me :frowning:

eg

[Aretha Franklin - Respect.mp3] => Array
        (
            [0] => 2015-07-02T14:03:17+02:00
            [1] => 3635013
        )

jap - that’s what my wish is :smile: if you know to code (php?), youre really welcome :wink:

You need to pass folder and file parameters, i.e. ?folder=default&file=Aretha%20Franklin...etc.

1 Like

30 posts were split to a new topic: Separate/multiple API/GUI ports and authentication

That was kind of a tangent, and I think this discussion is valuable as is so I did some cleaning.

what I’ve done so far:

• responsive UI using SBadmin2
  • mysql-table for devices

6 Likes

is someone familar with php, angular and mysql and would like to help?

I’m familiar with PHP and MySQL, and would have some time to add a few features next week. What are you thinking you need?

My two cents, but if you’re only storing device IDs, MySQL seems a little overkill when SQLite or even a tiny plain text file could do the same job.

1 Like

this would be great - because my php & mysql skills are little more than basic skills and I will not have so much time the next 4 weeks :smile:

my idea was to build up a platform to “manage” multiple devices with only the most important features:

• adding devices to the stored devices
  • shutdown, reboot, upgrade the devices
  • showing dashboard info of the stored devices like online status, offline status, pings, down&upload rate
  • showing detailed info like connections between devices, ram&cpu usage etc.
  • managing discosrvs & rate limits

for the second “version” I could imagine some bulk actions, like adding discos (and folders) to all devices etc.

My problem: I’m not familar with asyncronus calling the api to show some live data on the dashboard (e.g.). but every skill is welcome!! :wink: I could open a git tomorrow - if you would like to have a look on it…

https://github.com/kreischweide/metrothing is back up!

everyone is invited to contribute and to upgrade it to 0.11 or 0.12 :sunglasses:

Thanks to Adrian @kreischweide ! :tada:

1 Like

This thread is old but I’m reviving it since I have a need for a Web management. :slight_smile:

I’m a senior web programming, and I need to management for more than 10 syncthing device.

Does anyone have a copy of Metrothing web? It could help to start without restart from zero. Also, I want to put it to Github so many people could use it.

Thanks!

It’s a Windows application, and not a Web application. :frowning:

And I sent a email yesterday to Eddy in case he had still the Web code somewhere. But it’s not on Github right now.

I’ve got no personal experience with this project, but it doesn’t seem that there was any publicly available version of that specific code. The “metro.thing” itself was a strictly Windows application (see https://forum.syncthing.net/t/metro-thing-multi-instance-monitoring-maybe-managment-app-for-windows/2137).

Oh ok. Because this message on this thread seems that Eddy worked with PHP.

Hey Guys,

thanks for the interest. Honestly there is no code for the Fromtend you see. These are only Mockups. And metrothing is not from me :wink:

sry Eddy

Thank you for the followup… I’d love to start from something, but I really need a WebUI. :slight_smile:

I may be misunderstanding (and I’ve never tried implementing it myself), but isn’t @calmh 's Arigi what you’re looking for?

https://arigi.kastelo.net