Syncthing is Complete dead - don't know where to start

I have been running Syncthing in many years now. So many I almost not notice that it is running on my computer . I just enjoy that my folders are synced But know the synchronization is gone The browser interface at http://localhost:8384/ is also dead with a sign: “Unable to Connect” I can see that I way way back made a bat file: start "Syncthing" syncthing.exe -no-console -no-browser Nothing happening - Nor if I manually click on syncthing.exe No firewalls is blocking - As far as I know

Any suggestions what to do do now? (windows 10 64 - Firefox 85.0.1 (64-bit) - Syncthing v1.14.0 2021-03(

If you open a console (cmd or powershell) and run syncthing.exe, it should print logs saying what it is (not) doing. That should also happen when you run syncthing.exe without -no-console, but since it doesn’t happen I’d try it directly in a console.

Also, because you are using Windows here, you should find some logs and/or possibly panic logs in the home/config folder, which should be located by default under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Syncthing (which usually expands to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Syncthing).

[start] 21:42:32 INFO: syncthing v1.13.1 “Fermium Flea” (go1.15.7 windows-amd64) teamcity@build.syncthing.net 2021-01-11 14:15:21 UTC [start] 21:42:32 WARNING: Failed to initialize config: config file version (35) is newer than supported version (33). If this is expected, use -allow-newer-config to override.

Any sense for some?

1 Like

This means that a newer version has been run on that machine and updated the config file. Have you happened to run (maybe just for testing?) an RC release of Syncthing lately?

If that is the case, then you should also have a backup named something like config.xml.v33. You can try to delete the new one, rename the backed up file to config.xml, and then start Syncthing again.

1 Like

Mayby when nothing worked I try to download the newest release of Syncthing and run that

As above, I would suggest to try restoring the older config file first. If Syncthing still does not start after that, then it would be useful if you posted the full log output here.

Let me please start with the warning (Hoping not to reveal any sensitive information about my system)

[EOYP2] 23:48:17 WARNING: Syncthing stopped with error: adding boiiyllåft: recalculating metadata: checking globals: filling Blocks: leveldb/table: corruption on data-block (pos=422813): checksum mismatch, want=0x5a6e4e7c got=0x3a11d4ba [file=101040.ldb]

1 Like

I would suggest checking your disks for failures (SMART, bad sectors, etc.).

Okay - can I ask you why (I appreciate your help :grinning:)

And of course the disk (SSD) needed to be tested is where the “boiiyllåft” is located?

If you search the forum for “corruption on data-block”, you will see that those issues are mostly caused by bad hardware :wink:. An abrupt shutdown (e.g. caused by a power outage) could also possibly lead to a corruption.

If this turns out to be the case, then I would advise to back the data up immediately first, before trying to do anything else with the system.

It would be the disk, where your database is stored, which will likely be the C: drive in this case (unless you tweaked the defaults).

The database is toasted, so Syncthing will not run unless you reset it.

Please see https://docs.syncthing.net/users/syncthing.html#cmdption-reset-database and also search the forum for “reset database” for more information and possible consequences.

2 Likes

It seems that it helped - thank you - but why was it “toasted” in the first place? - Its not so good that this can happen

Is the database on a different drive? This happened once when the drive with the database unexpectedly dismounted.

No I don’t think so - I haven’t moved any databases ,)

As mentioned above, it could be a hardware failure, power loss, abrupt system shutdown, etc. A BSOD would qualify for the last one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.