Sync Single Subfolder to Device?

Ok, so I am newer to Syncthing and just trying to figure out if this is possible or not. I will try to lay it out at clearly as possible! :slight_smile:

Device A:

• Folder 1
  • Folder 2
  • Folder 3

Device B:

• Folder 1
  • Folder 2
  • Folder 3

Device C:

• Folder X

I have device A set to Sync all folders to Device B. On device C, I ONLY want to sync (2-ways) Folder X to Folder 2 on Device A, which would also sync to folder 2 on Device B since all folders in A and B are synced.

I have set up device C to sync the folder and then shared the synce task with device A. The issue is that first, I see an error on Device A “Warning, this path is a parent directory of an existing folder”.

It lets me continue. On Device A, all folders are up to date, BUT, the remote device C shows as “Syncing 99%” but is stuck there. It’s been a few days and there is only like 300 small files there. Also, on Device C, it shows that the sync task is “Out of Date”.

Am I missing something here? Is this possible? Is there a different way I should be doing this?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hmm. After looking into this more, it looks like it worked like I expected, but I had a handful of files with invalid characters in the file names. I hunted down each issues and removed the invalid characters and then it all synced.

All that being said, is there an easier way to handle invalid characters when syncing? Like can I have syncthing escape those special/unsupported characters or something like that?

No

So you just have to keep checking your tasks to look for invalid characters so you don’t lose data? There’s no notification or anything available?

Also, on Android I love the setting for if it should sync over wifi and/or mobile data but I’d love to have that at the task level rather than the app level. Some tasks are low risk. Is this something that might be implemented at some point?

You should avoid producing files with nMes that are invalid on other operating systems. The sync status is a good proxy indicator for whether this has happened.

Not really, the android app is in maintenance mode, so there isn’t any active development going on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.