Sync from low to high storage capacity PCs

Hi there,

I have been looking around, and have not been able to determine fully if I can do what I am looking to do with Syncthing, hope one of you can help me out.

• PC 1 - low storage device (Debian 8.4)
  • PC 2 - high storage device (Unraid 6.1.9)

Anything I drop into folder X on PC 1, is synched to folder X on PC 2.

The files on PC 2, will never be modified - just mass storage.

When running low on storage on PC 1, I want to be able to delete the files on PC 1, without any changes to be made on PC 2.

I have looked into the Master function, but not sure if that is the way to go?

Currently I’m doing this using BTsync, but not really a huge fan of the closed system they use… That’s why I was hoping I could use Syncthing the same way - Open Source FTW

Thanks in advance.

You could be using rsync run on a cron job. I have a raspberry pi that i use for mass storage and backups. I have 2 1TB usb drives connected and mirror one drive to the other weekly with a cron job. I realize that mirroring is not what you want to do, but it fits my needs. You should be able to configure rsync to do what you are asking. I started using syncthing a few days ago on my raspi to keep my keepass password database sync’d between several devices because btsync started to give me problems.
here is a link to help you out.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync

For my phone I use this: phone syncs as master, PC has versioning enabled as “stagered” and “never delete”. So when I delete something on the phone because of low space or sometning it gets versioned on the PC but is never deleted there.

In the advanced settings you have the setting ignoreDelete for every folder, which will tell syncthing to ignore all “delete” updates from other devices while still accepting new files and file modifications.

But this will then cause both devices to never be in sync, as both have different opinions on the global state vs. their local state.

If you can live with the deleted files being moved to a sub folder, you can use the trashcan versioning, which will only make versions for “delete” updates and not for modifications. It will also (afaik) not timestamp the filenames like the staggered versioning does. This has the advantage, that both devices will see each other as in sync.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.