Successfully Synced ~125GB To Cloud

I am happy to report that I have successfully seeded my key digital assets to the cloud using Syncthing. This includes about 90GB of music, about 40GB of photos, dozens of git repositories and a small directory of stuff I like to share between my workstations.

The three big resources (Audio, Photos and Git) sync from my home server (which is FreeBSD 10.2) with Syncthing installed, one-way to a FreeBSD server I run in the Google Compute Engine.

Yes, I am able to clone directly from the git repos in the cloud. It’s incredible peace-of-mind to know that when I commit some code, it goes back to my home server, and then from there gets synced to a cloud location.

Also, I love the fact that when I make changes to my massive digital Audio/Photo libraries, that only the changes cross the network. For instance, when I migrated my Photos library from iPhoto to Photos, Syncthing took that in stride and barely copied any data over the WAN.

The storage for my remote server uses ZFS, so now that I have seeded my major shares, I’m going to start automated daily/weekly/monthly snapshots so that I am also able to reach back in time should something get lost or become corrupted.

Bravo Syncthing team for making this happen!

If anyone wants more detail on how I made this happen, just ask.

6 Likes

Just don’t forget that if you’re actually changing the repos in both places, you should use git push/fetch to sync them and not Syncthing (as Syncthing can’t merge them properly). Keeping a read only copy for backup and cloning is of course fine!

Right. I am not actually committing changes to those backup repos, I just wanted to test that I could clone from them in case of emergency. It’s a testament to Syncthing that it handles git repos well.

1 Like