_sub folders and pattern

Hello, could I get a little help with my ignore pattern. I really don’t understand what the letters mean when they are together. But after reading the documentation a few times I came up with this.

(?d).DS_Store**

(?d)._**

I have a shared directory with a mac and pc and I want to ignore the mac ds_store files and thumbnails on all folders, sub folders.

Have I set this up correctly, also adding in the override for deleting them?

With thanks_

Seems so to make no sense, since the “**” are not inside the letters, maybe in that condition:

(?d).DS**_Store   
(?d).**_   

Some other samples:

.DS_Store
.DS_Store?
~*
*~
.~lock.*
*.part
*.filepart
(?d)@eaDir
(?d)(?i)@SynoResource
(?d)(?i).@__thumb
(?d)(?i)Thumbs.db
(?d)(?i).thumbnails
(?d)(?i)ehthumbs.db
(?d)(?i)desktop.ini
conflict

Thank you, I understood from the documentation that the ** means apply this to all sub folders.

So if i just leave the pattern as

(?d).DS_Store
(?d)._

does that apply to all folders and subfolders, with the delete workaround prefix.

with thanks, m

(?d).DS_Store definitely is enough. It matches the directory and thus all it’s children too. It’s equivalent to having both (?d).DS_Store and (?d).DS_Store/**. I.e. you don’t need the latter.

For (?d)._ I am not sure what the items actually are you want to match: Is ._ a prefix or a full name? If it’s a prefix, you need (?d)._* to match e.g. ._foo.

Thank you, ok I didn’t understand that it was working in that way. Your’re right that the ._ is a prefix, so adding the single * then makes sense.

Many thanks, that has helped me - my final version so

(?d).DS_Store

(?d)._*

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.