Some thoughts on ignores syncing, includes, and defaults.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. However it also results in the usual chicken and egg problem of not having the ignores available until after the folder has synced. I guess this is fine in your case if the ignores are always symmetrical. Regardless, it sounds like imsodins suggestion would be helpful.

1 Like

Just set up a new laptop; synced my files from my NAS; made sure everything was sync’ed correctly, all looks good. A week later, I notice there’s some weirdness where files that are in my ignore list aren’t being ignored… guess what I forgot to enable AGAIN? T_T

For everyone in this thread, who ‘forget’ to add the .stignore file on re-configuration and reconnect: Do sync this .stignore manually! Best to copy/rename it to stignore (remove the dot) so you can see it.

best idea, I’m always having a stignore.zip in the folder root as a reminder and apply it on all nodes manually.

I find these discussions about wanting to automate something just because you are forgetful yourself, a bit excessive.

The #include function alone makes things easier to be able to transmit the ignores via the peers that are also to be transmitted. Sure, a standard entry with e.g. “#include .stglobalignore” would be helpful in order to at least have a cross-peer design. Further entries with “#include .something” are also possible.

Nevertheless, a few tools can also be used to build a script that copies a basic stignore from a central directory to wherever it is wanted, at least within one’s own reach, whether locally or externally. And then circulating a .stglobalignore for each peer, if necessary individually, shouldn’t be not so difficult anymore.

What I mean by that, dealing with such elements is basically a conscious process that also entails responsibility, as you have to decide separately for each peer which profile should ultimately be considered ignore patterns.

1 Like