Single user: keep different versions of the same file

Hi… I wonder if Syncthing architecture and philosophy can integrate an option to save multiple versions of the same file on connected devices, without the older version being overwritten by the new one, thus leaving only one copy of the file. I know the option that allows you to keep a specific number of versions with the “trash” method, however the different versions are kept as long as they are created by different users. (If I understand correctly). My question, on the other hand, refers to single-user - use

There’s no concept of “user” in Syncthing - what you describe does sound like versioning.

1 Like

Syncthing can only version Changes made on other devices, because when you change a file, the file is already changed, so there is no old version, which could be copied/moved to the versions directory.

2 Likes

Exactly! Unless I have misunderstood, versioning can be done as long as the “versions” are created by two different computers … So the question remains …

I, for one, don’t really understand what you’re asking for.

2 Likes

I understand perfectly … What I ask Syncthing cannot do. Thanks.

does nothing, wweich understood perfectly well and has already answered me. thanks anyway

1 Like

Dear Jamal,

I recommend to set up syncthing on Linux/BSD or Solaris using ZFS as the file-system for your “syncthinged” storage. If you enable snapshots you can recover older states (versions) of your files easily. When you set the snapshot interval on your working-directory to 1 min you should be safe to not lose an intermediate file state. The advantage of that solution is that you can also recover deleted files in case you need them. I’m running four of those systems for a few years now and had never any problems reverting to previous states whether it is a single file or a deleted directory. As syncthing ZFS works block-based, there is only little extra storage required to store multiple snapshots. On Solaris/Omnios the snapshot-feature integrates very nicely with window’s “previous version” feature, which makes recovering files extremly simple. Give it a try, and you will see it works very smooth.

1 Like

Dear @Lampos thank you for the proposed solution and the comprehensive solution. Unfortunately, however, I am forced to use windows for a variety of reasons. Also, installing, setting up and maintaining a Linux/BSD/Solaris system would cost me an unsustainable cost in terms of time and dedication.

I really appreciate Syncthing for its features, its power and its versatility so I will continue to use it even if it is not designed or built to take snapshots. Aven if it does not completely correspond to my needs.

I solved the problem in another way with the tools already provided by Synology for its NAS: certainly an extra step, the cost of which was the only “effort” of building the task, but which from now on it will carry out silently, automatically and transparently a “circular” series of snapshots that will be overwritten once the pre-set day/snapshot limit is reached.

Thanks again, bye!