Shortcut Links within shared folders

I am setting up a folder structure in which there is an index folder where the files are actually stored, and different ways to find the content you want.

Documents/PDF/Index/…

There are different ‘filters’ that are being used across devices. When we know the author. Know the creation year. Year and Month it was last updated. Last update Author. Etc.

• Documents/PDF/Author… links to files inside ~/Index/…
  • Documents/PDF/Year…
  • Documents/PDF/Updated…
  • Documents/PDF/Last Author…

Is there a way to make this possible - and is this available to other devices (Android/iOS etc)?

Based on the use of tildes (~) and forward slashes in the paths above, I’m assuming it’s a Unix/Linux system. If so, what you’re proposing is not only possible, it’s quite common.

Depending on how many files are under ~/Index/, the number of symbolic links are used, and the filesystem type, it might be necessary to raise the cap on the number of inodes available.

With regards to Syncthing and symbolic links, see the answer for “What things are synced?” in Syncthing’s FAQ.

Next, review the Wikipedia page about symbolic links because support for symlinks is highly dependent on the filesystem being used.

From a user-level point of view, support on different OS platforms:

• Android: no
  • iOS: no
  • Linux: yes
  • macOS: yes
  • Windows: yes

Windows shortcuts aren’t like symlinks in Linux and macOS even they serve a somewhat similar purpose. Generally speaking, Sshortcuts and symlinks aren’t cross-platform, i.e., copying a Windows shortcut to Linux will just result in another file that won’t be understood as a shortcut by Linux / macOS / Android / iOS.

Without more details about the scope, goals and use-case, it’s difficult to recommend solutions, but I’m assuming that the reason for posting on the Syncthing forum is because you’re thinking of using Syncthing for syncing the “filters” and PDFs between different devices?

If I was trying to do something like what you’ve described, I’d use note-taking software such as Obsidian possibly in combination with Syncthing.

Store the PDF files in an Obsidian vault (see: How Obsidian stores data) and then create various folders named “Author”, “Year”, “Updated”, “Last Author” with inline links to the relevant PDF files.

A more robust solution would be to store the PDFs in a CMS (Content Management System) where the PDFs can be automatically indexed based on file metadata and content.

Thank you for the response.

I used the ~ because Ive seen many places where SyncThing have used it. Sorry for not saying in the OP.

Typically its Windows to Android or Windows.

I have been using Obsidian for a small time now and didn’t actually think of using that to create the filters for the content.

Since Obsidian is one of the apps that I push when talking to people, in a general sense, I will include that app in this project.

Two apps, is better than having to share URLs, passwords and having to remember what link went to each file - it was a nightmare.

The use of Obsidian, will solve this problem.

PS: Obsidian MD is the main reason I started using SyncThing. Really surprised I never though of using it for this!

Ah, no problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tilde (~) is ubiquitous on Unix and most Unix-like systems. It serves as an alias for “my home”. If my home directory is /home/gadget or /mnt/some/really/long/series/of/folders/gadget, either way cd ~/Documents gets me there with less typing.

Until Microsoft PowerShell, there wasn’t an equivalent in Windows, but now cd ~/Documents gives the same result as in Un*x.

Since Obsidian (and other alternatives like it) are adept at storing hyperlinks and also support tagging, it’s a pretty handy way to organize PDFs for reading compared to trying to file them in a directory tree.

(Note that it’s “Syncthing”, minus the uppercase “T”, like as in “Something”. :wink:)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.