Separate/multiple API/GUI ports and authentication

Yeah, the API and GUI is the same thing from an authentication point of view. And we can’t separate authentication vs not-authentication for different source IP:s currently. If you want to protect the API from outside access, you need to enable authentication (and then use API keys in the management thing).

@canton7, @Eddy2909: you’re talking around each other. Be more patient. :slight_smile:

1 Like

please read that post again :wink:

your solutions don’t fit my needs - thats the problem :wink:

my thought wasnt to separate auth for different sources. my thought was to seperate auth of api and gui on different ports…

is my english really such a **** ? :facepalm:

In what way? Both provide a means of authenticating the REST API, and being able to access the GUI without entering a password.

I know

• I dont want to install any other stuff than syncthing on all my devices (only to bypass authentication for gui)
  • I dont want to make my gui public (even its secured by user&pw)
  • I only wish I had an api secured by api-key :disappointed:

Then you’re stuck. If you’re willing to be slightly flexible on those points, then you can put a solution together and continue work with your project.

its not a question of “will it work” - it’s a question of “could it be more comfortable” :wink:

…you could also try ssh’ing into a machine as means of authentication and do some port forwarding. That should do the trick as well. Not sure how feasible that is for windows, but at least for Mac and Linux that could be a solution.

1 Like

Right. That would be technically doable, but isn’t currently supported. What we would do in that case is support multiple instances of the combined API+GUI, with separate listen ports and auth settings. However this seems like a rather niche thing, so I suspect we wouldn’t get around to it for a while.

1 Like