Separate/multiple API/GUI ports and authentication

one request: for those devices behind a router at home it would be nice to change the rest api port to a ā€œonly rest api portā€. at the moment the api uses the port on which the gui is also available right? I would not like to forward the the GUI port and set a password on my devices in my private network only to make the api available for the ā€œoutsideā€ā€¦

Why? Everything you can do with the GUI, you can do with the REST API (and vice versa). Why restrict one, but not the other?

because for the api I need a key for accessing it. but I donā€™t want to add a password for the gui in my private home-net (which I will need to setup if I forward the port) :smile:

No, you do not need an API key to access the REST API if you donā€™t have a password on the GUI.

:confused: wot?

Was it clearer the second time? :wink:

yes :joy:

but I donā€™t get the point why. my case: I donā€™t want to enter user&pw everytime Iā€™ll have a look on syncthing and making my ui public. I just need to use the api (secured by a key)

You could always run Syncthing through a proxy layer, e.g. sit it behind nginx. Then do evil stuff like get nginx to specify the username+password when it forwards connectionsā€¦

if I was a technical minded maybeā€¦ but what about emily b. from a.?

imho the api and the gui are completely different features for completely different usecases. (see above) Iā€™d like to build up a online-syncthing management Platform which I could run 24/7 on a server. for that purpose I ONLY need the api and not the Guiā€¦

Whoevever she is, she probably isnā€™t writing a client which uses the REST API, so it isnā€™t an issue for her :wink:.

The GUI and REST API do the same thing. They are covered by the same authentication mechanisms.

Besides, you should really be using SyncTrayzor, which handles the GUI authentication without you having to input anything.

but she is able to run syncthing on her home devicesā€¦

yes sure but why ā€œopeningā€ the Gui if I only need the api and vice versa?

also remote devices?

ā€¦and Syncthing will listen on 127.0.0.1, and no-one else will be able to connect to it. Therefore she wonā€™t need a password. Therefore everything is fine.

It is ONLY when you want to connect to Syncthing from another machine that you need to mess around with passwords, and ā€˜emily b. from a.ā€™ wonā€™t be doing this, so this entire discussion is completely irrelevant for her.

Thatā€™s not English, and I donā€™t understand it.

You misunderstand. With SyncTrayor you can set a GUI password, and youā€™ll never have to type it into anywhere.

Iā€™m not really following the stuff above, but the GUI is only a thin layer on top of the API. Basically the GUI is just the API + some static files. If you donā€™t load those static files, thereā€™s no cost to the GUI. So disabling the GUI and keeping the API doesnā€™t make much sense to me.

okā€¦ maybe you misunderstoodā€¦ my plan is to build up a little platform to manage all my (not emilys) devices remote from one place. for that purpose I need the api - and only the api. I would not like to setup a GUI password only to use the api for remote access via forwarded portā€¦

He wants:

• The GUI to be only accessible to localhost, no password
  • The REST API to be accessible from anywhere, and require an API key

I understand all of that. Now please read what I said.

I did - and it doesnā€™t makes it better :disappointed_relieved: I think you did not get my intents :disappointed:

my idea is to use my local GUI without setting up a pw, syntrayzor or any other stuff. Iā€™m fine with it like it is! why installing nginx, synctrayzor or other stuff?

I just thought of forwaring a port up to use the api :confounded:

Well it obviously isnā€™t fine the way it is, otherwise you wouldnā€™t be asking for things :wink:

harharā€¦ :yum:

Iā€™m serious though. Youā€™ve got a problem. Iā€™m suggesting solutions. Then you come back with ā€œIā€™m fine like it is! I donā€™t need solutionsā€.

If youā€™ve got a problem, why donā€™t you need a solution to it?