Selective Sync Feature(most important)

When I really can’t do it directly on the local device I do it remotely (ssh or Remote desktop over ssh). Whatever I admit tweaking an external text file is boring, even it’s local, and that’s what I do when I need symmetric ignore or remote ignore management (via #include files). For local only management (e.g. huge remote Pictures Folder from which I just want to locally work on files from a subtree) I do with ignore patterns directly in the local GUI, what I admit is just a little less boring than with external file… ok, sorry for the noise.

Not noise. All part of the discussion.

I have a similar use case. A 30TB NAS with a ton of stuff and I’d like to selectively sync stuff on a laptop and a phone.

Currently only a small subset is under syncthing management because I can’t selectively sync. (Who has 30TB of storage on a laptop?)

Anyway im not at all familiar with the syncthing codebase but considering taking a look at what it would take to be able to implement something here.

1 Like

Hello, I switched to Resilio some time ago due to this feature missing, and could be interested in contributing some code to bring this to Syncthing. But as I’m not very involved in the community, could you (or another maintainer) point me at previous (stalled) attempts at designing or implementing things in this space? So I don’t duplicate any work, and have something to use for inspiration. Thanks!

3 Likes

From a quick GitHub search, there might be more:

Could also find some PR’s linked here:

1 Like

I’m thinking that a tree view is not the only piece of the puzzle, something needs to be done about like renaming or creating folders at the root. If you do this with a ‘*’ ignore at the end, it’s silently not synced… The correct (to me) behavior seems to not really be achievable with the current ignore feature. If a new folder is created on another node, don’t sync it to me. If I create a new folder, start syncing it.

I think ignores are smart enough to exclude things along the way of the item being excluded.

I’m contemplating of adding such a feature to Syncthing Tray. So far I added a UI for the browse-API. It would be nice if one could select files/directories from there and ignore/unignore them easily. An “ignore and remove locally” feature might also be useful. However, I’ll have too see how far I can come with ignore patterns within the time I can spend on it.

Of course it would also be more beneficial for everyone if such a feature was implemented in Syncthing’s official GUI but that’s probably harder to do.

(I’m also contemplating of porting Syncthing Tray to Android where this feature would be most beneficial to have because one the phone editing ignore patterns is most inconvenient. However, the Android/App port is probably a lot of work - although probably also a quite interesting piece of work.)

1 Like

I’m kind of curious the percentage of Syncthing users that use the tray UIs…

I would like to have a documents / music files on a NAS and be able to sync (make available offline) some files when I go on vacation / travel.