There havent been that many posts about restoring back content which has been synced before a Phone was formatted or cleaned up, or a brand new phone. Basically, i just need to confirm the correct ways to do this.
ST syncs data between the PC and phone with a number of different folders, some being Send&Receive on both devices, some being Send-Only from Phone, some being Receive-Only on Phone.
So far i have come up with 2 options, but i also have some questions.
Restore Option 1: I like to use Titanium Backup to backup ST.
- When i restore ST from Titanium backup on my new phone, lets assume the folder paths are all the same. it will say .stfolder missing in all folders.
- Before i create .stfolders in the relevent folders, i go ahead and change each folder to Receive Only and on my PC i leave it as is, namely Send&Receive.
- I then might see “override changes” in one of the devices, and click that button, and watch everything go back on my phone
- After that folder synchronizes fully, i then go ahead and change the folder setting on my phone back to whatever it was, for eg. Send&Receive and press Apply.
- Does this mean that the index gets backed up as well during a titanium backup?
- Is this ok to do? or will changing the setting on my Phone back to Send&Receive not really be “true” anymore for future syncs?
- Is it “allowed” to change the “Folder Type” under Advanced Settings of the folder? Or does constantly doing this mess things up??
Restore Option 2: I saw a post on here where a user mentions doing this type of procedure here: Question - Restoring config on Android , but by backing up and restoring the Configs of ST ONLY, meaning going into the ST settings and doing a manual backup there, instead of doing a Titanium Backup.
- Leaving the ST “Folder Type” settings on both devices as-is, how sure are you that the index is set to 0 and that the files on my PC wont get deleted because my phone’s folders are empty?
- Would it complain that i need to create .stfolders as well inside the new Phone’s folders?
- Is this a better option to choose for restoring the files as they are on my PC ?
It just feels like by choosing Option 1, that i will be MORE sure that the files wont be deleted from the PC, as i making sure that i am changing the “Folder-Type” and forcing files to go on my Phone instead. That feels like a safer option, Whereas Option 2 i have the feeling some delta indexes or future indexes might exist somewhere and then might mess everything up. or am i wrong?
Id love to hear your opinions on this and how you think is the best way to do it.
Also, thank you for this great software.