Syncthing on Raspberry Pi

Ok, I will try that right now.

We use AES128. I don’t know what btsync uses - maybe they have a better implementation of it than we do, maybe @AudriusButkevicius is right and the CPU usage is not caused by the crypto. Profiling will provide the answer!

btsync is also using AES128.

Ok, I have looked at the -help but what is it exactly I need to write after the ./syncthing in the terminal to get the profiling? I have tried ./syncthing STCPUPROFILED but I can’t see a file after shutdown.

Run STCPUPROFILE=yes ./syncthing

I’m only getting a empty (0 byte) .pprof file…

Strange… Are you running it for a while, are you exiting gracefully?

The file is written when syncthing exits. Select restart or shutdown in the menu after doing something representative to cause high CPU.

Runnng for 5 minutes then opening GUI (browser) --> shutdown…

Empty file.

I use pulse myself on an rpi, and have no problems with transfer speed. Currently I’m downloading from it with 2.4 Mb/s, upload is also fast.

No special setup, but I set scan interval to 3600 (1 hour). CPU usage is currently at ~30% during transfer.

The only bad thing is that the web GUI is incredibly slow (and uses ~90% CPU and slows downloads).

Edit: How many folders and (connected) devices do you have?

About 180 folders and 180 files size about 30 mb each. 1 connected.

Are you using the arm6 file? And Raspbian?

Tested pulling from my pi: got a average of 5 Mbps (measured 161s to sync 100MiB) cpu profile: cpu-29075.pprof.tar.xz (21.8 KB) edit: i’m using armv6 and raspbian edit2: is compression deactivated on both sides? I don’t know what happens when only one side has it active and the other not, does activated compression mean you compress what you send and still reviece uncompressed if the other side has deactivated it?

Yes Raspbian, and the binary should be ARMv6 (not sure any more).

And right, I have compression disabled on both sides, that might actually be it (I mostly have pictures, music etc so it probably wouldn’t help much).

Are you using pulse version 0.10.1? I have compression disabled on both sides.

Alex and Nutomic how are you measuring the speed? Pulse is telling me that I’m downloading at +5 Mbps BUT the System monitor says something else. Look at my screenshot… Strange…

I could not post until now, the forum said I should wait 18 hours before I could post again ?!?

Yeah v0.10.1.

I checked the speed from the web GUI, not sure why it’s different. @calmh?

I checked the transfer time using a 100 mb file the System monitor is 100% correct…

System monitor shows 964 kB/s (bytes), which is ~7.7 Mb/s (bits). Perhaps it’s including network overhead, or something else is happening in parallel?

I mixed up the B (byte) and b (bit).

So I guess we can conclude that we all run at around 2-5 Mbps (0.250-0.625 MBps) on our RPI.

BTsync run with 2-3 MBps (BYTE), so the question still remains, why is Pulse so much slower.

Alex managed to make a profile, maybe you can see something in that file. We are using the same system and download at the same slow speed.