proper way of building a network

Hi, I have a NAS which syncs with A and B. What is the proper way to do things: to have all sync between themselves, or just A and B to the NAS and back? Should there be sync between A and B? Thanks.

Why not?

Short answer: I have them all in sync, but I think this way of making things maybe not the best. That is why I’m asking for advice. Long answer: I’m uploading pictures from several mobile devices on all three devices, sometimes one of them is not connected, I modify the pictures, the other device connects and the sync takes too much time, or gives errors until all the devices are connected.

I think you should explain exactly what problem you have is and what you are trying to solve.

There is no reason to limit which devices connect to which other devices unless you have a large setup or want to limit how network traffic flows.

Now its just a random question with no context…

Will, I just explained the problem in the “long answer”.

Your answer is “takes too much times or sometimes errors”, yet you start by asking a seemingly unrelated question about topology, so I am no longer sure what your question is.

If you have a technical issue, say that you have a technical problem and provide screenshots and logs.

No, my quotation is not technical. I started by asking what is the proper scenario for synching a Nas and two machines that sync to/from it.

There is no ‘proper way’, about anything will do. Fully connected meshes have the benefit that you can exchange data more directly, which can be faster or more reliable, in case the central device (your NAS) is offline. But just connecting everything to a ‘central hub’ is also a common case, especially if not everything should be shared with everyone.

If you don’t have an actual problem with sync, simply try both ways and see what works best for you. That’s the idea after all.

3 Likes

I’m uploading pictures from several mobile devices on all three devices, sometimes one of them is not connected, I modify the pictures, the other device connects and the sync takes too much time, or gives errors until all the devices are connected.

Maybe you should try changing the sync priority order depending on your specific usage. Do you want to sync the smallest/largest files first? Maybe you want to sync the newer files first to speed up the propagation of the files that you want to reach the other devices first?

I had the same question earlier – Linking devices in a mess

I have tried linking in both ways and both work fine.

gbmolina,

If the NAS node is always available as much as A & B then probably no difference. If NAS is sometimes not available, then maybe it’s better to allow A & B to directly sync so they’re caught up with each other before NAS comes back on line.