PREDICTION: New Users heading this way

I’m all for it. So much so, in fact, that I’ve considered taking currently unused bitcoin donations and injecting them into the bountysource ecosystem - for issues that I think are worthy but don’t intend to do myself for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Out of curiousity, how much has there been donated to syncthing?

That’s excellent, because there are those of us who simply can’t use Bitcoin at the moment. I installed the client and it wanted to download 20GB of data for the blockchain. No thanks.

Just so you know, I attempted to install Bitcoin precisely because I wanted to donate to Syncthing. You might have more donations if there were other ways to donate.

You can use a wallet like Electrum, no need to download the blockchain. Or just buy Bitcoins on some exchange and send it directly to syncthing without a wallet.

1 Like

Bountysource does accept straight up donations as well, I think.

Around 3 BTC at this point.

2 Likes

We’re all Syncthing users here, and some of us are formerly BTSync users. Sticking things, especially important things like Bitcoin wallets in the “cloud” sort of goes against our philosophy. :wink:

With all the Bitcoin exchanges that have been hacked or suddenly folded, I kind of have a trust issue with them. All I’ve done so far is click the Bitcoin Donate link on the home page, which shows a QR code. I’ll look more closely into Bountysource.

I’d say exchanges are fine as long as you transfer your coins immediately after you have them (eg to Electrum or donate directly from there).

But I guess Bountysource might be easier to do.

Okay, I went directly to Bountysource’s site, found the Syncthing project, and donated via Paypal. I don’t know if anybody else is like me, never having used Bountysource, and not having access to Bitcoins. If there are, I think maybe the link on the home page should just point to the Syncthing project on Bountysource, and then people can decide to donate from there, using whatever method they’re most comfortable with. You might get more donations that way.

I saw a syncthing-android project too; are the two projects independent of each other?

Technically, they’re seperate (syncthing was started by calmh, syncthing-android by me). And we currently handle donations seperately.

Okay, I’ll have to make a separate donation to the Android version at a later date, as I use that too.

3 Likes

Just to be clear: if I donate via https://www.bountysource.com/teams/syncthing and/or https://www.bountysource.com/teams/syncthing-android, you (i.e. the Syncthing/Syncthing-android devvers) will be able to collect it? (I’ll be happy to support but I have never heard of Bountysource so not sure if I should trust it.)

They will go to Bountysource, which then allows assigning the money on tickets, or other projects for free, or paying some percentage to cash out.

Thanks for the reply. Like sez11a I’ve never bothered with bitcoin but Bountysource (or just direct with Paypal) works just fine. I’m all for supporting open source and that’s partly why I asked. I recently donated to an Android open source app and the developer said it was his first true donation. I was surprised more had not contributed as it’s a really solid app that’s been around a while. I think the open source world needs more karma-aware folks.

Definitely. I’m probably an outlier because I work for an open source company.

Hi everybody! Another BTSync immigrant here.

This discussion was a very useful read, which helped me have a clear view on ST current situation. I think there should be a short “About” page on the main website telling newcomers about who is currently developing the application and under which circumstances, what drives the developers, what are and what are not the future plans and what expectations shouldn’t they have regarding the development.

I would like to contribute, mainly to make Syncthing suitable as a BTSync replacement. It currently isn’t, for many reasons which can be discussed separately. Unfortunately I am just a web developer, so I cannot do much myself, but I am willing to pay the time of a freelance developer for it. I would like to pay a programmer, per hour, to work on specific features. I am interested in sponsoring development of both the desktop/server application and an (open-source) iOS app. If anybody is interested in taking such paid work or interested in joining me financially, don’t hesitate to contact me (vlad (at) quedo (dot) com). Perhaps you can at least help with finding a developer, or let me know what experience such developer needs for being able to contribute efficiently. I do not know anything about the programming language and tools used by this project. Any produced code will of course be shared with to the community.

1 Like

You can always put bounties on tickets via bountysource.com, but that doesn’t mean it will get done though, I guess it all depends on how difficult your feature requests are.

You can always put bounties on tickets via bountysource.com, but that doesn’t mean it will get done though, I guess it all depends on how difficult your feature requests are.

And that is why I want to pay real money to hire a developer, because in its current state I cannot make use of it and I do not have the time to wait and see if it will ever get improved the way I need it. And for an iOS app, if anybody will do that from scratch with own efforts, it is unlikely that will ever become open-source. If there are multiple people joining financially for it, then the world might get a nice open-source Syncthing for iPhones and iPads.

@vhbit is working on an iOS app AFAIK, hence you can try and get in touch with him. In terms of syncthing, I might be able to help you, but I need to know what you are looking for.

Please do, that would be awesome. :wink:

1 Like