I sync between two computers using the Linux program via the web interface. Today I was preparing my school laptop by getting it up to date with what I’ve been doing in LogSeq on my main machine. It probably would have been fine to just sync normally, and let syncthing handle the version control, but I wanted to make sure EVERYTHING from my main machine overwrote anything from the laptop.
So this is what I did:
- Create a backup of the
Pagesfolders (where most logseq data is stored) on my laptop (older versions).
Pagesfrom the directory Syncthing uses, on my laptop.
- Start syncthing on both PCs
- Look at folders again, realize the number of items in my main machine’s
Pagesfolder has gone down from 50+ to 14.
- Realize deleting the older copies of
Pageson the laptop has told Syncthing to nuke my notes.
The updated notes exist on my main machine, and the notes that haven’t been updated exist in the backup on my laptop. There’s a few conflicting copies, but both machines are missing huge chunks of what exists on the other.
Yes, I know exactly where I went wrong, and it’s my responsibility to manually piece things back together now. Compare the filenames, decide which one to overwrite based on the filesize and date. But if there’s a better way to recover things I would love to hear it.
Tips for anyone who would make the same mistake:
- Trust Syncthing to handle the version control
- Set one machine to “send only” so it isn’t overwritten by another during a temporary, one-directional change like this.