Please help: How can I get speed higher than 2 MB/s

OK, I have the data, here they are:

Syncthing log (the lines that I guess interest us): PC: 2021-05-30 20:06:06 Single thread SHA256 performance is 196 MB/s using minio/sha256-simd (144 MB/s using crypto/sha256). 2021-05-30 20:06:06 Hashing performance is 171.27 MB/s 2021-05-30 20:06:06 Overall send rate is unlimited, receive rate is unlimited

Smartphone: 05-30 20:12:46.995 I/SyncthingNativeCode(21849): [QOZNT] INFO: Hashing performance is 635.74 MB/s 05-30 20:12:46.996 I/SyncthingNativeCode(21849): [QOZNT] INFO: Overall send rate is unlimited, receive rate is unlimited

Storage benchmarks: PC (Program: CrystalDiskMark): Sequential Read: 218.25 MB/s Sequential Write: 221.15 MB/s Random Read: 22.78 MB/s Random Write: 64.43 MB/s

Smartphone (Application: Cross Platform Disk Test) Sequential Read: 470.2 MB/s Sequential Write: 182.1 MB/s Random Read: 17.1 MB/s (on one of the measurements it was 11 MB/s but it was the lowest I saw) Random Write: 20.6 MB/s Memory copy: 4.61 GB/s

Now, I also found (after a lot of searching) an application on my smarthone that measures the WiFi connection speed (and not the internet/ISP speed). So I connect my PC to my neighbours WiFi and create a hotspot on my PC, to which I connect my smartphone. And then I use the app I mentioned to measure my WiFi connection’s speed on my smartphone, which is 28-32 Mbit/s. Unfortunately I was unable to find a similar program for windows to test my smartphones hotspot connection speed. Also when I made a measurement while connected to my neighbours WiFi, I got 50-60 Mbit/s. Opinions? Is there something else I should try to benchmark?

It seems to me that hotspot speeds are significantly slower than routers. I would very much like to test my smartphones hotspot speed, so if you know some program for windows 10 to measure WiFi speed (not internet/ISP) please suggest.

iperf is my go-to for bandwidth measurements.

OK, so I run tests on iperf3 between my PC and my Smartphone, here are the results:

Smartphone:Hotspot PC:Connected to Smartphone’s hotspot

C:\iperf-3.1.3-win64\iperf3.exe -c 1111:1111:1111:11111::11 //tcp client [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 11.9 MBytes 9.95 Mbits/sec sender [ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 11.9 MBytes 9.95 Mbits/sec receiver

PC:Hotspot Smartphone:Connected to PC’s hotspot

C:\iperf-3.1.3-win64\iperf3.exe -s //tcp server [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 5] 0.00-10.01 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec sender [ 5] 0.00-10.01 sec 22.3 MBytes 18.7 Mbits/sec receiver

Both devices connected to neighbour’s WiFi (I have mediocre signal)

C:\iperf-3.1.3-win64\iperf3.exe -c 111.111.1.11 //tcp client [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 9.25 MBytes 7.75 Mbits/sec sender [ 4] 0.00-10.01 sec 9.25 MBytes 7.75 Mbits/sec receiver

So it seems that the fastest I can go, according to iperf3, is 18.7 Mbits/s when I create a hotspot on my PC. It appears to be a significant difference with the measurements I did last night with the other app and I mentioned on my previous message. It measured ~30Mbps on the connection between the two devices, using my PC hotspot, while iperf3 measured 18.7 Mbps. Maybe there was some less interference from other networks/wireless devices last night? Or maybe the app was not that reliable? I don’t know. I don’t mention the differences for my neighbours network, because the one app measured connection between smartphone-router, while the iperf measured connection between smartphone-PC through router (?).

The app I used last night is found on Playstore as WiFi Speed Test - Internet Speed by ZoltĂĄn Pallagi.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and your help

So what do you think, do those speeds sound normal?

Could I somehow change the title of the post, to mention the kind of connection I attempted (pc-smartphone via hotspot), so if someone has attempted the same and wonders about the speed he should get, to find it easier? I thought it might be helpful.

I’ve created a feature request to avoid unit confusions in the future:

Not exactly the point or the main interest of the post, as it elaborated, from my point of view, but it might help someone. Could you create another one about hotspot connection speeds and limitations, if you know better on which section etc it should go as an experienced user, or else I could try.

Syncthing itself works as expected or doesn’t it? There are countless possible network and devices setups so it doesn’t make sense to document all of them.

Well, I guessed there are sections on the forum other than bug reporting. Anyway, thank you for your interest, I might try to make a post myself. I just think that I would like it if I had found a post reporting the limitations of hotspot connection on syncthing usage and speeds. And I guess hotspot connection could be considered quite usefull or ideal (if not the speed limitations in comparison to the device’s given values for normal networking) for syncthing usage, as it does not require a router, or internet connection. These limitations this post explores, although I still don’t know why hotspot connection does not comply with the device’s given values for networking speed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.