Please can we make the "Override Changes" button on the Master node optional so syncing becomes automatic in one-way, Master to Normal node set-up.

Hello,

I think Syncthing could be greatly improved if one-way, Master to Normal node syncing occurred automatically without user intervention.

I know that users are advised not to use Syncthing as a backup application, but I suspect that for many users, myself included, an alternative one-way backup/syncing solution is exactly what we are looking for.

The problem is (if I understand the software correctly) if a folder is deleted from the Normal node, this then requires the “Override Changes” button to be clicked on the Master node. Also, if a folder is manually added to the Normal node, this then creates an “Out of Sync Items” entry on the Master node, until the folder is manually deleted on the Normal node. I have assumed that the above is essentially also true if Versioning is used.

For me, the above is really the opposite of what I need. In a one-way, Master to Normal node backup (oops I mean syncing) setup :wink: I need the following options:

1. If a file or folder is deleted from the Normal Node, this should be replaced automatically without user intervention.

2. If a file or folder is manually added to the Normal node , this should be deleted automatically without user intervention.

3. “Out of Sync Items” entry (for files or folders manually added to the Normal node) to be displayed on the Normal node instead of the Master.

Regards Paul

This is not how a normal node operates. What you are looking for is a slave node that doesn’t report changes to the global state. This week there has been someone on the forum looking into this.[quote=“Smallous, post:1, topic:8624”] I think Syncthing could be greatly improved if one-way, Master to Normal node syncing occurred automatically without user intervention. [/quote]

This has been discussed and discarded a number of times before. Have a search through the forum for reasons why.

Prevent modifications/additions of items using permissions.

3 Likes

Duplicate of many other topics