panic: non-increasing sequence

“.sync” is not a name Syncthing knows/cares about, i.e. no connection to the database (unless Synology does black magic (like -home ~/.sync)).

Anyways if they are deleted on disk, Syncthing shouldn’t show them as out of sync anywhere. If it does, you’ve encountered a bug (screenshots please).

I bet that hidden folder .sync was created by Resilio Sync and needs deleting. I’ve stopped all their services when I tried in mad panic last week so if it would “just work” and solve my issues. Mea culpa. I’ll delete :slight_smile:

1 Like

The result is great :+1:. If you not longer use Resilio, you can delete all .sync folder completly, otherwise you must use a special set of Ignore patterns per peer for both Resilio and Syncthing.

What was your reason to change to Syncthing?

I know, I’m stoked. Bit annoyed about the permissions thing being such a huge blocker for using the product and it not being obvious, other than asking here - seems like a biggy and a potential UX improvement to keeping more people on Syncthing.

I always used Syncthing. I only tried out Resilio because I was fed up wih Syncthing last week and was getting nowhere - a stalled sync for days, and no clarity has you go hunting hey.

The problem I had with Resilio was it took me a while to work out what ports to open, and when I got them opened and routed/forawrded on both sides, the Resilio client on the Syno NAS crashed on load, telling me to reload each time. No warning, no log file entries, nothing. I just gave up.

There is usually failed items on the receiving side explaining what the issue is, together with lines in the logs.

If you expect to be able to check whats wrong with a remote device, then you are expecting too much. On the local device the issue should be fairly straight forward to find.

I’m laughing tears. Or is that cry tears? :slight_smile:

The NAS says the remote has 83,000 files out of sync. All are 0 bytes. And all are NOT ON THE FILE SYSTEM. Do I need to tell it to start something again? Me confused.com :slight_smile:

I’ve checked logs on both ends, and both don’t even mention the folders/files in question or show any particular errors that would help.

You seem to be looking at stuff on the wrong side. If you see a remote device is out of sync, you should check the UI of the remote device, not try to understand what is happening remotely.

If you are still confused, I suggest you post screenshots from both sides so we could understand why you are confused.

I am quite confident @marky_uk by now does check both sides, and there’s indeed an inconsistency (i.e. remote device reported as out-of-sync, but on that remote device the local folder is up-to-date) - please correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise this is now again an opportunity to run the stindex tool :wink:

Understood… :innocent:

But keep in mind that this is also a Synology server. I will watch. If that doesn’t work here either, I have a clear recommendation.

Thanks all for replying. you rock :slight_smile:

So NAS side shows: https://i.imgur.com/d2jwCFV.png

And PC side shows: https://i.imgur.com/1OdD4R9.png

Do you ever get to a “steady-state”, i.e. all folders (i.e. only left side) are either up-to-date or failed, but not out-of-sync or scanning?

Looks like you were affected by https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/6381 on NAS, however that’s likely unrelated to out-of-sync issues. You can fix it by running once with STRECHECKDBEVERY=0 environment variable set.

I don’t get a steady state, no. Or haven’t in the last few weeks.

It could be the case. I have manually deleted the files it’s not happy with from both sides in the last few days - simply because I wanted to get the number of files to sync down a lot.

To enact the environment variable - do I set the variable, shut down and restart syncthing? Am I doing that on NAS or PC?

On the NAS you stop Syncthing and then start it with that environment variable set. And while you’re stopping Syncthing, run stindex please :slight_smile:

Well actually, let me correct my question: “Steady-state” as in all folders either up to date or out of sync, but not syncing or scanning (currently one folder is scanning).

Then you have 18 failed items, which should be fixable given the error reason when you click on them.

hey @imsodin where will Syncthing be installed on the NAS? I’m trying to find and run stindex. Happy to run it and try. Sorry, I’ve no issues with Windows debugging/config but Linux stuff normally goes beyond me

IT seems you have the SynoCommunity package so is Syncthing in

/var/packages/syncthing/target/bin

Hi Andy

Yes I believe it is. I’ll sort this in the morning. Can I ask, is there a better way/package I should be using?

The SynoComm package works well and I think the most of Synology users have installed that. A second package as BETA is directly from Kastelo (Syncthing) since a short time:

https://docs.kastelo.net/synology/

But to change have no advantage. Better is to have the SynoComm. package, since is possible to load RC-versions. At the end, for problems is the work on CMD the same.

Because of your question for another way: For me it was best to delete the entire database and have it rebuilt: Stop Syncthing on Synology via the package center and switch via CMD (I use WinSCP) in the directory

/var/packages/syncthing/target/var/index-v0.14.0.db

and backup the entire content and then delete the directory content. Then start Syncthing again (at Synology via the package center). This will create a completely new database. Depending on how many peers you have with a corresponding number of files and folders, this can take 1-2 day - more or less. It may make sense to do this on all of your devices. This gives you a clean base and that should work.

But I think it make sense to check the started way together with Audrius and Simon to find maybe available bugs or others, thats may be good for development and to have a good solution at the end for all.

Hi there

I’d prefer not to delete the DB and try and analyse with stindex.

I’m stuk - I’ve got a DS713+ which has an Intel Atom Dual Core. I saw the stindex tool build version isn’t available any more but found the tool latest build - but then faced with a lot of Linux$ variants - which one would it be?

Yes, not found.

I’d expect them to be just plain amd64, but you can run uname -m to be sure. The format of that is different, e.g. x86_64 is amd64, x86_32 is 386. If in doubt which one is the correct one, post it here.