panic: non-increasing sequence

Haha. Thank you :slight_smile: Will do.

By the way, if you want some context - I’ve tried:

• Resilio Sync (disconnects with no log entries for no reason), or
  • GoodSync (paid and my trial expired but the interface to restart my trial or pay is horrendous - weird tech speak on how to not solve your problem at all)
  • FreefileSync (can’t, no Synology build and no explainer by anyone who to get working on my Linux NAS OS and it’s beyond me) and more …

but keep coming back here as it’s the nicest of the bunch - I just rely a bit too much on this forum to keep it up and running so has me scared.

1 Like

Is this still 1.3.4, or 1.4.0-rc?

Hiya. Both running 1.4.0-rc.

The main thing I see is “Syncing” but then an upload and download rate of 0B/s on both parties (sorry, it just went to 1.4kb). I’ve got nice fat internet connection and two computers doing very little, and 640K+ files out of sync - so I’m wanting this thing to fly just now :slight_smile:

Does the receiving side consider itself out of sync? If not, that’s a database issue (or mismatching ignores or other bug, etc.). If it does, those things are all fine and there is something else blocking sync (such as a permissions issue). Logs, errors / out of sync items in the GUI, should give more info.

Hey Jakob - in a sync, which is the receiving side? I’m sorry. Both sides have lots of changes. Explain that pathetically simple question and I’ll come back to you with an answer :slight_smile:

Since it seems that you are using Synology NAS, I have a few tips for you. I use Syncthing and Resilio on all of my Synology’s for different tasks.

First, check whether you have activated the “Ignore” permissions for each peer (Edit> Advanced> Permissions). Experience has shown that this eliminates most of the inconsistencies.

If this is already activated, deactivate it once, let the scan run completely and activate it again. This change also often helps. I don’t know why.

Doesn’t help either, the following. Provided that you have correctly set the user rights for the Syncthing User, you should try to delete the Synology ACLs to the subfolders of the peers. I always do this with WinSCP by setting group and owner to “root” and granting full rights, octal 0777. This deletes the Synology ACL’s to the subfolders. You can set this again by transferring the rights to the subfolders in the corresponding folders in the Synology DSM file manager.

Due to inconsistent databases, I also manually deleted and re-indexed all of my databases a few days ago, which actually seems to be the best way to get a clean system. Since then everything has been going very well and wherever peers overlap between syncthing and resilio, the same numbers are displayed for the elements everywhere.

Finally, how did you install Syncthing on your NAS?

The side where you expect Syncthing to perform some action to become in sync. Which might be both sides if there are changes in both directions, sure.

Hey hey

So both devices (PC and NAS) had Ignore Permissions disabled. I’ve just enabled that on both.

I’m now seeing a lot of Index update log lines - like scores and scores of them on the PC.

PC is Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says 44,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 4% (714GiB)

NAS is also Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says there’s 871,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 86% (229GiB)

That’s weird, I wouldn’t expect enabling ignore permissions to result in index updates. Anyway, now you’ll just have to wait until it settles and then we can take it from there.

Just FYI: When you encounter a weird state that shouldn’t happen and want to get to the bottom of it, do not change settings. It might make things better or worse, in any case it will get you in a different state, so debugging the original bad state isn’t possible anymore. In this case you now don’t need to run stindex anymore, that would have been helpful on the original state, but now we first need to await what happens after ignoring permissions.

Oh boo, sorry, OK! Sure, I’ll report back in a day or so when the indexing has settled down, thank you :slight_smile:

This is not necessary on a Windows computer. Activation is only required on the NAS.

And, it is correct, now you have to wait until the processes are finished. This can take some hours. The high values startle, but they should decrease after a while. In the end, in the ideal state there is no longer any deviation.

However, that is my experience.

If the Ignore Permissions are not activated on a (Synology) NAS, this has always led to deviations occurring within a short time. That was already the case with v0.13 or v0.14.

That’s not correct, ignore permissions is specifically applicable on windows.

Being frank: Please consider if you are really sure about it before giving advice on technical matters regarding Syncthing, and if in doubt don’t.

I agree with you. But I also outline, with default conditions is no proper running of Syncthing on a Synology NAS possible.

Since years I know that problem. And in this case, it also seems to make a difference.

If I read the thread too, it seems there are more functions behind as only Windows or FAT related things.

OK, so since the permissions change it looks to be moving on at a pace (unless I’m reading this wrong) .

Before we had:

• PC is Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says 44,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 4% (714GiB)

• NAS is also Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says there’s 871,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 86% (229GiB)

And now we have:

• PC is Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says 73,500 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 77% (168GiB)

• NAS is also Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says there’s 880,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 92% (131GiB)

Woop!

OK, I’m out today so wanted to send the latest through. This says permissions was the reason that nothing was progressing - which, I think from a potential solution in future, it would’ve been good if Syncthing had been able to prompt me about this - without raising it on here, I would’ve likely deleted and moved to another app as there was no clues as to the issues, or any way to debug this easily.

Most recent (last night):

• PC is Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says 73,500 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 77% (168GiB)

• NAS is also Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says there’s 880,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 92% (131GiB)

Now:

• PC is Scanning main folder. Says 18 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 93% (49.4GiB)

• NAS is also Scanning main folder. Says there’s 99 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 99% (5.15GiB)

Hey @Andy

You said -

I can see a folder full of files on the PC. I can see the same folder but empty on the NAS. I can see permissions on the NAS folder as:

Is there a definitive for permissions? I seem to have had to reset permissions throughout all folders quite a few times over time

I want to know, in which way you installed Syncthing. If you also use the Synology SPK-Package by SynoCommunity like me, you have a group is called “sc-syncthing”. Maybe you have a user is called “syncthing” or anything like that

Syncthing-Perms

For any folder you must set such user or group. The best and easiest way to adjust this is via Control Panel > Groups, then select “sc-syncthing”, Edit > Permissions and then select all the shared folders with which Syncthing should be able to work.

I see also Resilio in your list of permissions. The main difference between Syncthing and Resilio is, that Resilio is running in the administrators group:

administrators:x:101:admin,xxxxx,yyyyy,rslsync,SynologyCMS

You find that entrance in the group definition file “/etc/group”. That means, such settings for Resilio is not needed as described for Syncthing above. So you could delete “rslsync” in your above list and Resilio will still run.

And there are sometimes problems with permissions at Resilio too, but they are easier to solve. That Resilio is a member of the admins, however, is maybe a bigger risk.

Permission for sc-syncthing was “custom” and I’ve changed this to read/write and inherited to all subfolders and files and it’s run its way.

AND I’M NOW UP TO DATE :slight_smile:

Ahh, apart from about 80K 0b items on the Remote side, in the .sync folder. Which I’ve already deleted from BOTH sides as real folders and files but still exist in the .sync folder. Shall I just delete them? Or will that screw up the DB?

“.sync” is not a name Syncthing knows/cares about, i.e. no connection to the database (unless Synology does black magic (like -home ~/.sync)).

Anyways if they are deleted on disk, Syncthing shouldn’t show them as out of sync anywhere. If it does, you’ve encountered a bug (screenshots please).