panic: non-increasing sequence

Had a thought …

Am I better to delete the DB completely, remove the mapping, and recreate it?

(I’ve doubled the RAM in the “server” by the way - so 16GB now)

I need to get this working again pronto (I’m many days out of sync and apart from Crashplan, I also use Syncthing to backup from work to home constantly) … so decided to delete the indexdb folder completely and recreate the files. Maybe a bad move, I’m not sure :slight_smile:

Weird that I’ve set the debug to “info (default)” yet I’m seeing thousands of model.go: DEBUG: lines in the console. Is that expected? And DEBUG: Index update (in): and other DEBUG lines. Sounds to me like the default isn’t in fact “show me only errors” but the default is to show DEBUG info?

Resetting the db should indeed fix the sequence out problem.

The debug stuff though is definitely not the default. Given the info you provided (using synctrayzor and the settings in the screenshots) I have no clue why debug logging is enabled (anything else to check @canton7?). Though now when it’s not crashing you should be able to use actions/logging to disable it.

Hiya

Deleting the DB worked well. In fact, when starting up i was impressed I didn’t need to do anything and it’s just started again. Really good.

I’ve already checked re debugging and all log entries are blank everywhere. Anything else you’d like me to check or send through? Most odd hey!

Thanks for the continued replies :slight_smile:

Nope, I don’t do anything with logging these days.

@marky_uk Just check under File -> Settings -> Syncthing -> Advanced -> Syncthing Environmental Variables, see if there’s anything related to STTRACE.

Hi @canton7 - sure. I just did, and it’s all blank -

Sometimes I’m in love with Syncthing as it works so flippin well, and then others, I want to cry

So my deleting of the DB and the folder details worked for a moment but within a hour or so, since March 2, it’s done NOTHING MORE :frowning: Same syncing percentage (87%) and same number of remaining files on both sides. Baaah.

What do you suggest? And if the answer is “pay me and I’ll sort”, let me know.

Not that I bathe in money, but if you can tell me the reason why that’s happening I’ll gladly fix it for free…
Just in case: I am not complaining, I totally get the frustration and am happy that you report them and go trough debugging, such that hopefully the frustration can be prevented in the future :wink:

Can you run the stindex tool again please to see if it reports something about duplicate/inconsistent sequence entries (there’s a fix for that in the pipeline).

Haha. Thank you :slight_smile: Will do.

By the way, if you want some context - I’ve tried:

• Resilio Sync (disconnects with no log entries for no reason), or
  • GoodSync (paid and my trial expired but the interface to restart my trial or pay is horrendous - weird tech speak on how to not solve your problem at all)
  • FreefileSync (can’t, no Synology build and no explainer by anyone who to get working on my Linux NAS OS and it’s beyond me) and more …

but keep coming back here as it’s the nicest of the bunch - I just rely a bit too much on this forum to keep it up and running so has me scared.

1 Like

Is this still 1.3.4, or 1.4.0-rc?

Hiya. Both running 1.4.0-rc.

The main thing I see is “Syncing” but then an upload and download rate of 0B/s on both parties (sorry, it just went to 1.4kb). I’ve got nice fat internet connection and two computers doing very little, and 640K+ files out of sync - so I’m wanting this thing to fly just now :slight_smile:

Does the receiving side consider itself out of sync? If not, that’s a database issue (or mismatching ignores or other bug, etc.). If it does, those things are all fine and there is something else blocking sync (such as a permissions issue). Logs, errors / out of sync items in the GUI, should give more info.

Hey Jakob - in a sync, which is the receiving side? I’m sorry. Both sides have lots of changes. Explain that pathetically simple question and I’ll come back to you with an answer :slight_smile:

Since it seems that you are using Synology NAS, I have a few tips for you. I use Syncthing and Resilio on all of my Synology’s for different tasks.

First, check whether you have activated the “Ignore” permissions for each peer (Edit> Advanced> Permissions). Experience has shown that this eliminates most of the inconsistencies.

If this is already activated, deactivate it once, let the scan run completely and activate it again. This change also often helps. I don’t know why.

Doesn’t help either, the following. Provided that you have correctly set the user rights for the Syncthing User, you should try to delete the Synology ACLs to the subfolders of the peers. I always do this with WinSCP by setting group and owner to “root” and granting full rights, octal 0777. This deletes the Synology ACL’s to the subfolders. You can set this again by transferring the rights to the subfolders in the corresponding folders in the Synology DSM file manager.

Due to inconsistent databases, I also manually deleted and re-indexed all of my databases a few days ago, which actually seems to be the best way to get a clean system. Since then everything has been going very well and wherever peers overlap between syncthing and resilio, the same numbers are displayed for the elements everywhere.

Finally, how did you install Syncthing on your NAS?

The side where you expect Syncthing to perform some action to become in sync. Which might be both sides if there are changes in both directions, sure.

Hey hey

So both devices (PC and NAS) had Ignore Permissions disabled. I’ve just enabled that on both.

I’m now seeing a lot of Index update log lines - like scores and scores of them on the PC.

PC is Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says 44,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device NAS is Syncing 4% (714GiB)

NAS is also Scanning main folder (I assume from Permissions update). Says there’s 871,000 items out of sync. And says Remote Device PC is Syncing 86% (229GiB)

That’s weird, I wouldn’t expect enabling ignore permissions to result in index updates. Anyway, now you’ll just have to wait until it settles and then we can take it from there.

Just FYI: When you encounter a weird state that shouldn’t happen and want to get to the bottom of it, do not change settings. It might make things better or worse, in any case it will get you in a different state, so debugging the original bad state isn’t possible anymore. In this case you now don’t need to run stindex anymore, that would have been helpful on the original state, but now we first need to await what happens after ignoring permissions.

Oh boo, sorry, OK! Sure, I’ll report back in a day or so when the indexing has settled down, thank you :slight_smile:

This is not necessary on a Windows computer. Activation is only required on the NAS.

And, it is correct, now you have to wait until the processes are finished. This can take some hours. The high values startle, but they should decrease after a while. In the end, in the ideal state there is no longer any deviation.

However, that is my experience.

If the Ignore Permissions are not activated on a (Synology) NAS, this has always led to deviations occurring within a short time. That was already the case with v0.13 or v0.14.

That’s not correct, ignore permissions is specifically applicable on windows.

Being frank: Please consider if you are really sure about it before giving advice on technical matters regarding Syncthing, and if in doubt don’t.