panic: non-increasing sequence

It is a question of philosophy. Basically, a NAS is always a server and not a regular computer that is considered as client. The perspective must be corresponding. A Synology differs little from a normal Linux server. However, there are differences that you have to know.

There is a clear separation of access rights between users and APPs at the Synologys. Users must have permissions to APPs and folders and APPs must have permissions to folders. If one or the other doesn’t fit, nothing can work. However, everything is clearly configurable via Synology DSM.

I’m not sure if any of this has been any use so far to you.

I’m close to just calling it quits to be honest. Absolutely no offence to you guys but I honestly need to be running a business and put my efforts there and need a sync software that just works. There isn’t one out there. Not one. Even the Synology ones provided don’t work.

Is Synology a common platform for Syncthing? Is it worth trying to nail this or not?

Sorry if I sound a grump - again it’s not aimed at you

Did you ever encounter anything that didn’t work that wasn’t the remote devices completion? I am not saying it’s ok that this doesn’t work, but as long as folders show the correct status and are in sync that’s just cosmetic. And we are working on fixing that too, so before if it really comes to abandoning, please retry after :slight_smile:

@anyoneknowingSynology: Is the system too borked to just run the Syncthing binary directly instead of a synology package? And have all the config and data in self-created folders free of black-magic-ACL.

marky_uk, In short, Syncthing is very suitable for Synology, also on Windows and Android. You have one alternative, but not the tools from Synology itself, because they are have always been unreliable with these mass of datas to be synchronized.

I will briefly tell you my story so that you know what I mean:

Since BTsync 1.0.128, mainly 1.4.111 I have been a productive user of this software, now with Resilio version 2.6.4. Resilio runs on 4 Synology servers, 5 Windows clients, 3 smartphones, 2 Tablets. The software is very reliable, constant observation was not necessary in the past. But the advances in Linux, Windows and Android mean new problems and bugs are coming up again and again. Unfortunately, the update cycle at Resilio is no longer practicable and very much to long.

Two simple examples with big consequences: The app keeps freezing on Android and in the meantime the Windows service cannot be installed in some cases on Windows builds >190x.

The first meant that I was forced to weave in Syncthing, which is possible with the right ignore patterns, so that the Android systems work smoothly - just embarrassing. One of the servers has now been completely switched to Syncthing and the coexistence of Resilio and Syncthing is working smoothly.

If the update cycles continue like now, I will have to change to Syncthing completely in the long run, since the administration is correspondingly more complex. In addition, Resilio wasted a lot of time and allowed Syncthing to become just as good and reliable, which was not always the case. It has also become more flexible in terms of features. The only real advantage of Resilio would be the selective synchronization, timely I use on Android, but currently I doesnt use. If Resilio allow Syncthing to completely overtake, it’s there own fault.

Finally the problems with permissions and so one are sometimes similar and I have to maintain in the same way. I am also a self-employed person and can understand that you need a quick solution, because all tests also require time and capacity. This laboratory work doesn’t help, I also found out. So in the end I just stopped syncthing on all devices, deleted all databases and started syncthing on all devices again. Since then everything has been going well. And dont forget regarding your Synology DS713+, Ignore permissions on “Yes” for each peer (folder) … :wink:

@imsodin hey hey. Yes I have had the most wonderful of instances when all have been synced perfectly. Life is good when that happens. There have just been many instances where the sync goes out but then requires a lot of manual intervention to get it back on track - like this particular instance.

When the Scan happens, it looks like my scenario is not being checked for. Is that all that needs to happen here?

I’m more than happy to test anything anyone wants if it helps.

As I said, it has me going radical here - am I the only one with such issues? Do all Syncthing devices report back so you have details of who is suffering in silence? (I assume not re data privacy). Do you know how many people use the app on Synology devices?

You are not the only one, as already written. I also had problems and I said how I dealt with it because nothing helped me either. And if you follow a few rules, I’ve already described them all, it goes very well. Also, in which way I´m maintain regarding permissions and so one.

How many users have Syncthing installed on the Synologys is difficult to understand. If I look at the download numbers that you can see only for Synologys alone in the package center:

Syncthing (SynoComm.): Not specified
Syncthing (Kastelo): 0
Resilio: 29.973

The 29.973 only show the downloads from the DSM package center. Resilio has its own Synology page, in which any architecture can be installed manually. I always use that. This download platform is well known and many downloads also take place there, so in summary personally I guess there are roughly 50.000 downloads.

I assume that those who use Resilio also use Syncthing to a large extent to change from resilio to Syncthing or set up mixed activities or to make tests because of interest. I´m also started in 2015 with v0.12 and with first tests because of my interest. First I tested extensively, then I set up the first tasks with v1.x.x and today I have been productive since v1.3.3, see above.

If you’re wanting to run stindex on the Synology itself, then:

• Stop Syncthing on the NAS;
  • Elevate yourself to root user with sudo -i
  • cd yourself into the folder where you’ve uploaded the stindex executable into, then run:

./stindex -mode idxck /usr/local/syncthing/var/index-v0.14.0.db

I’m running Syncthing (Synocommunity package) on a number of Synology NAS units, and I’m very happy with it. Of course, being on a stripped-out OS does present its own challenges when you need to run some not-installed tool - but as far as Syncthing is concerned, I’m very happy (accepting the RAM and CPU limitations for what they are).

hello lovely people So I’ve run this command … no errors … but no nothing. Flash cursor, and I’m over an hour down. How do I know if it’s running?

1 Like

Look at your memory/cpu usage.

1 Like

I did - super low. Sorry, I should’ve said. CPU 6%, memory was about 70%

1 Like

How big is the index folder and if you have swap, is that used? Chances are you are running out of memory in which case it will take forever, i.e. you should terminate it (I think we had that before, or was that someone else - my memory… :slight_smile: ). If that is the case, please copy the db to a machine with more memory and runs stindex there (might be a good idea anyway to not have to deal with synology crap).

Coolio. Will do this eve

1 Like

That was with me … :sunglasses:

sorry, this is with me and had no capacity to pick it up yet. Owner of a business and fighting fires. will get back when I can

1 Like

Welcome to the club … :wink: :dizzy_face: :nerd_face:

3 posts were split to a new topic: keys not in increasing order

Hey - I’ve not replied in a good while. Not sure how the virus is working out for you guys but my days have melded together as I’ve been working from morning to evening and then falling over in bed beat!

I decided to have a cleanout of a lot of files this weekend. Saved 100GB in one folder, and then gone from 1.5M files to 10 files in another, zipping archive folders away.

My latest is that I had someone help with a VPN issue through to work - except now I’m getting constant connects and then disconnects with Syncthing. That’s despite making sure TCP 22000 and UDP 21027 were both open and forwarding with no relay enabled on either party. Got that to sort, then I’m back on the original thread.

Ahh man, I can’t figure out the connection. Does anyone have an article of the steps I should follow to debug the connection? At the moment I’m seeing “discovered” and the correct IP addy for both sides (having set them to dynamic), but I’m seeing Disconneced on the NAS side (so saying that the PC/server is disconnected).

Sozzzz …

Below the discovered address there should be an error message. Double check the ports indicated there, i.e. that any router and device along the way doesn’t block them (NAT/firewall/…). If everything checks out but it still isn’t working, post screenshots and enable connections debug logging and post the logs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.