Own Global Announce Server?

hello, i would like to not use global annunce server, and the options are

• setting up a private annunce server
  • using ddns the second one would be the best for me, because will be possible to turn off annunce server at all. i’m trying to do this, but i don’t understand how to configure syncthing, in what parameter must i set the ddns address?

Just setup device addresses using ddns, and make sure you have something that periodically updates the ddns entries.

Here’s my take… first, I don’t see any reason for people to set up their own announce server unless it’s Snowden and friends . But people are free to do it of course.

I Think it’s better to prevent the network from ‘fragmenting’ too much … like network balkanization.

I have a colo server that’s available to anyone who needs access to a server for this project. I’d be happy to put an announce server up there (or better yet – let somone else set up the announce server and do the install and setup)…

BTW Audrius and Jakob let me know if you want access to my colo on like a dedicated 8core machine with 24GB RAM and unlimited bandwidth. Same goes for ne one else.

But yeah , I mean if it’s not a big pain in the neck, I like the idea of multiple announce servers. We’d just need to make sure they are all held to a high level of security.

So anyway I liek the idea , and anyone that needs server space for this project , drop me a line with what you need.

I think the desire for having your own announce server is to have everything standalone where you’re not relying on anyone else’s resources or situation which could change at a moments notice.

There is an element of data security about that, certainly that’s one of the reasons why some people avoid cloud hosting services, but simply knowing that all aspects of your data sync are controlled by you is reassuring.

It’s not unusual for people to have both a fixed IP & a 24/7 server at a location these days - adding an announce server (as a service using NSSM as I did) is simple & it services PCs on my small office LAN internally & PCs at my home via the Internet.

My journey to SyncThing has been via Cubby (where the free direct sync was promised, then removed), to Gbridge (which stopped being developed & has 64 bit VPN driver issues & relies on Google Talk for announcing), to BT Sync (which started off so well & then just got worse) to SyncThing. It’s like having had 3 failed relationships, so I’m a little cautious entering a 4th.

Open source & a stand alone announce server are important as it means the end user isn’t simply a passenger.

2 Likes

Sure… I think there are two paths, and then maybe a middle ground. Current inertia is on the middle ground.

So one extreme is sort of the ‘bittorrent utopia vision’ and that involves strong crypto, minimal fragmentation, possibly deduplication, streaming, full mobile support, and some of the more ‘out there’ ideas I’ve proposed like encrypted distributed deduptlicated filesystems , convergent encryption compatible with bittorrent (ie.maybe integration and/or block deduplication with bittorrent or Tor users want that, whatever).

Then the other extreme is that everything you have to set up yourself, there is no central point of failure, no central servers, encrypted endponts and transport, everything is essentially your own VPN plus the security of strong crypto, etc, and it’s just distributed sync and nothing else. But it’s private and it’s good at moving files around, and everything is higher security but maybe a little less convenient , and with less features.

Right now, there’s a little of both of these (the networks are private, transport is encrypted, but there is a global discovery server ).

Anyway I think part of this comes down to personal preference, and really the smat decision is to watch carefully what users are saying and what features they want . No reason in solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

As for the discovery server, from my current understanding, use of the discovery server doesn’t present a major security threat unless the node is malicious . Even so, even if syncthing discovery server got hacked, an attack beyond publishing a list of IPs would be a bit impractical , and would require attacking your home computer as well with dns poisoning or arp spoofing as wel I think to exploit the structure and read your data.

Is there an arm build for raspberry pi?

There is now.

http://build.syncthing.net/job/discosrv/

I thought it would make sense to have a DHT of announce servers for this. Then you don’t need to rely on a single announce server, you just need to know one for bootstrapping.

wow! Thank you very much!

hi, just started own discosrv and it listens only at udp6, how can I enable for udp/ipv4 or did I missed something?

udp6 0 0 :::22026 :::* 0 55440 8881/discosrv

thanks in advance himalkaya

udp6 implies both udp4 and udp6 AFAIK

thats true…thx!

I’m building my own Syncthing cloud and I got a couple of questions about discovery.

Here is my setup: linux server and windows pc at home, linux server somewhere in the internet, macbook (which is portable and so it can be taken anywhere).

I do not want use any public discovery servers, so I turned off this feature for all nodes. My external linux server has static ip with dns record and my home nodes syncing via home public ip, no problem. What happens when I take my macbook to some other location? There are local addresses for home nodes in cache, will it find public home ip via internet server node? Is there some kind of peer exchange without public discovery?

Well your mac book should be able to connect to the Linux server because it has a static IP, and it should be able to connect to your windows pc at home because you have port forwarding setup and the ip address statically configured (or perhaps static + dynamic given you use local discovery)?

Devices need to be able to connect to each other either way (A -> B or B <- A) for it to work, which I guess is fine.

Yes, it should connect, all ports are accessible from any address, home ISP provides static IP. Will it find my home public address via internet node?

No it will not, you have to hardcode it in the list of addresses for the given device, which it will try.

If I hardcode public home IP in macbook config will it switch to local (via local discovery) when I’m in home network?

you can add multiple entries as address: e.g. mylocalcomputername:1234, dynhost:1234

Which will be tried in the order they are defined.

Thanks for help! I’ll try this option