operation not permitted

Hi, I’m trying to sync from source (Windows machine) to target (raspbian) with Syncthing 1.7.1 on both sides. Syncthing on the pi is running as a dedicated syncthing user account.

On the target machine an usb harddisk is used as target folder, mounted like this in /etc/fstab UUID=FE5C25545C213833 /mnt/stick ntfs defaults,auto,users,rw,nofail,umask=000,x-systemd.device-timeout=5 0 0

I’ll get an “operation not permitted” error. The “ignore permission” option is helping but I’m trying to understand what permission syncthing is trying to set. Does it try to do a chown on the linux that fails? Is it possible to set “ignore permission” for all current and future folders?

The root directory is probably owned by a different user/group/has wrong permissions than the user syncthing is running as.

It does not do chown, but you still need permissions to be able to create files and directories in the folder. There is no way to set default/future folder settings.

UNIX permissions don’t work on Windows/NTFS file systems.

The root directory is owned by root with rwx permissions for everyone. But as wweich stated it won’t work on a NTFS file system.

Feature request: Detect that the filesystem is not capable of setting permissions or allow to set ignore permissions globaly

I think this falls under the broader scope of configurable folder defaults. Even if we could detect that the filesystem is incompatible with permissions I’m not sure what we would do about it if the ignore permissions checkbox wasn’t set. We can’t just go ahead and ignore permissions anyway because you might be counting on them actually being synced.

Valid point, but try to detect it if operation is permitted before synching the file. It’s pointless to transfer 100 GB of data and after every file is transfered a log entry is written but not the file.

Well, the 100 GB would need to transfer anyway, and remains in the temp file. Once the problem is fixed the sync completes without transferring any more data.

Assuming it takes a while to transfer 100 GB our detection might anyway be completely out of date by the time it’s done.

The 100 GB where 30.000 files and the transfer seems to be lost …

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.