One way sync no matter what

I have done a lot of reading and I don’t think this is a feature now but if it is, please let me know.

I would like to suggest an option to the “Folder Master” that sends all changes with no override needed.

To explain, I have a primary computer and a secondary computer. The secondary computer is a backup up of the primary computer. No matter what happens on the secondary computer (deletions, additions or updates/modifications) I need to have the secondary computer returned to an exact image of the primary computer, all without any prompts or buttons to be pressed, in other words, unattended.

Thanks for considering this…P Prog

This is the folder master feature. Subject you don’t mess around with anything on your backup, it should work exactly as you are saying.

That would be great in a perfect world but people do things like stick files and folders where then don’t belong or update the wrong file. With the current scenario one can never 100% trust the contents of the secondary computer to be an absolute backup of the primary computer.

So, since it looks like you have confirmed that this feature doesn’t exists, I would like to request it be added when possible.

P Prog

I don’t think the feature makes sense. If you don’t want your files to be edited, set them as read only, or change the user permissions.

You can trust it’s exactly 100% match if you don’t mess with in, and if the UI says its 100% copy which I think it stops saying that when you modify something and the master refuses to accept it, causing the master to be out of sync with the slave.

This seems exactly like:

Which has been closed with an explanation why.

First of all, let me state that Pulse is many things, but not a backups utility. Never use stuff that keeps permanent sync for backups. The reason is simply that if you delete your files locally, your deletions are deleted remotely. Sure, there’s .stversions but that can be deleted too.

If someone who sticks their nose where it doesn’t belong has write access to your backups, that’s the first problem you should address.

Thats why many users want to have this functionallity:

and

so the accidently & virus deletions can be recovered.

So, really, for a one way forced sync I suspect simply running rsync or something similar once an hour is much more efficient. Syncthing jumps through a lot of hoops to enable the bidirectionality. If you don’t need that, then you also don’t need the memory footprint and on disk index, etc.

1 Like

Use the right tool for the right job, instead of trying to adapt a tool that’s designed for something else.

And, again, if backup is what you’re after, you shouldn’t have clueless users with write access on the destination node.

See:

3 Likes