No longer able to install on Raspberry Pi

ok I’ll try to update the certificates as recommended by Simon next

ok it says done,

Should I try the complete Syncthing install sequence now?

update-ca-certificates won’t do anything without a newer version of the certificate collection. You first need to install that .deb file:

curl http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/c/ca-certificates/ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb
sudo apt install ./ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb

I wonder why there are no similar reports about Raspbian stretch all over the internet. Guess it’s hard to find because people usually describe a concrete symptom, like here, instead of the underlying problem… :man_shrugging:

ok thanks

is that two command lines Andre?

the curl line first, let it run then run the sudo line or is it all one command?

I’ve been locked out of the forum, I have to wait 17 hours before I can post again apparently !

Two lines. The seconds installs the file downloaded by the first command.

If the first fails, try using curl -k instead of plain curl

Stretch is the development codename for Debian 9. Stretch receives Long-Term-Support since 2020-07-06. It was superseded by Debian Buster on 2019-07-06. Security updates have been discontinued as of 2020-07-06.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch

I missed the LTS part.

That’s pretty contradictory, stating that it’s in Long Term Support but does not receive security updates…

Debian has a security team that normally coordinates security patches. This is the official kind of security updates and is provided for stable and for oldstable, until oldstable is about a year old.

After this period, there is “unofficial” security support by others not part of the security team. That’s what they call LTS.

Debian at it’s best: Technically good solutions, support for a really long time, …, but PR/documentation is lacking at best, more like almost actively confusing.

1 Like

Isn’t that a little bit too harsh? :wink:

I’ve relied on Debian’s documentation regarding hardware drivers a few times, and I’d say they do provide a lot of valuable information that cannot be found anywhere else. Is there any other, community-driven distribution that provides better documentation?

Obviously, there is no comparison between it and, for example, Red Hat’s documentation, which is excellent. This one is written by (probably very well) paid employees though.

Hi All,

Sorry I got blocked from this forum for making too many posts…Bizarre!

Anyway do I take it that I’m never going to be able to install Syncthing on my older systems until I update to Buster, as the security updates are just not available?

Pete

Sorry you got blocked, I don’t think that was anyone’s intention here.

I think you can manage to get it installed. Have you tried my latest suggestion? If needed use curl -k.

Thanks fir sticking with it Andre…Yes I tried that, this was the result:

curl http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/c/ca-certificates/ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
<p>The document has moved <a href="http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/c/ca-certificates/ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb">here</a>.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at mirrordirector.raspbian.org Port 80</address>

and then:

sudo apt install ./ca-certificates_20210119_all.debReading package lists... Done
E: Unsupported file ./ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb given on commandline

that was actually curl -k

I keep getting an error message when trying to reply now that says that I have made too many posts on the first day…which is odd because this is the 6th Day.

Note you can edit posts if it’s just a small detail you forgot to add. That may save you from hitting that limit.

In general, if some command fails then it makes no sense to continue with the next, because in this case it cannot find the file that failed to download in the first step.

So it tells you that the file was moved to a different location. You need to try again with the URL contained in the response. Or just download it manually from another PC and transfer to the Pi somehow. I don’t know why curl didn’t follow the lead by itself, my browser did so.

When you have the updated .deb file, try the second command again from the directory where it is saved on the Pi.

Hi acolomb, I am trying to install Syncthing on a netgear nas running ReadyNAS os6 I believe I am suffering from the same certificate problem. I followed the instructions on this thread and here is my result:

root@NAS-IR:~# curl http://mirror.umd.edu/raspbian/raspbian/pool/main/c/ca-certificates/ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb --output ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  154k  100  154k    0     0  1236k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 1236k
root@NAS-IR:~# ls
ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb
root@NAS-IR:~# apt install ./ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'ca-certificates' instead of './ca-certificates_20210119_all.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 ca-certificates : Depends: openssl (>= 1.1.1) but 1.0.1t-1+deb8u12 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

From what I read online, Netgear is using a modified and old version of Debian. Which I guess is using a older version of openssl… Any tips would be appreciated. I am sorry, very much a noob with linux still… Thank you

Sorry again… looks like this is a common issue… this worked for me cant update syncthing via apt anymore

Thanks for the hint, that looks promising. Probably also helps @peteb with his circumstances.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.