Newbie Questions about 'folder isn't making progress' and 'out of sync files' and 'syncing (%%)'

Hello !

These are my first steps into syncthing v0.11.6 - first thanx and bravos to the developers for keeping open-source.

I’m running it on ubuntu 14.04 with syncthing-gtk and nautilus integration at home / running it on Lubuntu 14.04 again with syncthing-gtk (no integration with files-browser pc-man-fm) at office. That Lubuntu runs as a kind of documents server for three other PC’s. Those folders are locally shared through Samba.

Few questions, now…

1. On the office side I can read that warning in syncthing-gtk and in the webGUI : Folder “machin-chose” isn’t making progress, please check the logs.

Logs are - from display daemon output in syncthing-gtk :

(…)12:06:09 INFO: Puller (folder "PALACE-Bureau", file "Médiavision/Palace_Saumur_LOGS_03082011_09082011.xls"): shortcut: chmod: chmod /home/bureau/Médiavision/Palace_Saumur_LOGS_03082011_09082011.xls: operation not permitted
[X4DNQ] 12:06:09 INFO: Puller (folder "PALACE-Bureau", file "Divers/Imprimés/ctm_septembre_2.pdf"): shortcut: chmod: chmod /home/bureau/Divers/Imprimés/ctm_septembre_2.pdf: operation not permitted
[X4DNQ] 12:06:09 INFO: Puller (folder "PALACE-Bureau", file "Publicite/Fontevraud/Fontevraud_24fps_DEF.mov")(…)

It deals with a dozen of files, each with “shortcut: chmod: chmod” (out of 3000 which behave as intended). Owner and group for that dozen look fine to my eyes. Owner and group are r+w, other nothing. I’ve fixed the fact they were “executable”. That dozen was created and once stored in a windows pc. What else may I check ?

1. On the office side only I have 4 files “out-of-sync” how can I know which files are these ?

2. On the office side synching shows 86%, home side is up-to-date. Both sides show same number of files and size. I’m a little lost about the meaning.

3. On the Lubuntu, since I’ve installed syncthing from “official” ubuntu repo, update-manager shows a warning :

unknown error <class ‘system="" error’=""> (E:Opening /etc/apt/sources.list.dsyncthing-release.list - ifstream::ifstream (13: Permission denied))

I’ve used the same method - at least I think I did - to install on Ubuntu and no error message there. Where did I go wrong ?

1. Make sure the files are owned by the same user syncthing is running under
  2. You can click on out of sync link in the web gui, not sure if syncthing-gtk yet implements that.
  3. Do you have files ignored?
  4. It’s probably related to your distro and not syncthing, so can’t really help.
  1. that might be a problem. Let’s say syncthing runs under user_0 which belongs to group_0. Files are owned by user_1 and user_2 which belong to the same group_0. Those group and users have r/w permissions. It seems to run fine with the other ~3000 files.

2. Oh yes, wonderful ! And in fact only four files can’t be synchronized → I’ll look further into owners/rights, they are the same files as in log.

3. No files ignored.

4. Probably. And syncthing has been updated to its latest version so not a big deal.

Thank you.

Yeah that ought to work too.

Strange. The four files which are not sync’ed do have the same owner / group and rights as the thousands others which are sync’ed.

I’ve renamed them.

But still I have those four files out of sync’ - not the newly named but the initial ones.

Can you compare stat/file output for the files versus others? Also, are all 4 files are the only files in some specific directory with no other files?

[quote=“AudriusButkevicius, post:6, topic:2860”] Can you compare stat/file output for the files versus others? [/quote]Errr, sorry for my poor english but what do you mean ?

[quote=“AudriusButkevicius, post:6, topic:2860”] Also, are all 4 files are the only files in some specific directory with no other files? [/quote]No they are not alone ! And they’re among different directories…

But wait. I’ve quitted and restarted syncthing-gtk AND restarted syncthing through webGUI and now no more out-of-sync files.

Can I trust syncthing-gtk ? Looks like it is not working for the moment, daemon output :

[X4DNQ] 18:54:31 INFO: New UPnP port mapping: external port 59947 to local port 22000.
[X4DNQ] 18:54:31 INFO: Error creating discovery client  udp6://announce-v6.syncthing.net:22026 Unsupported scheme: 

And at the very same moment webGUI looks ok, up-to-date, no file out of sync.

The error about discovery only explains that you don’t have IPv6 support, no big deal. As for the rest, not sure, it could be that the files were temporarily non-writeable as they are being watched by syncthing-gtk’s file watcher perhaps?

(some days later…) regarding “out of sync” files :

• most of the time renaming them helps get them finally sync’ed → why ?

• about the error message in Lubuntu update-manager : it’s gone since I’ve deleted the apt source file from folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d and wrote it straight into the file /etc/apt/sources.list