New (alternative) Android app

@davide.Imbriaco, would it be possible to use Google Goggles as the barcode scanner instead of needing to download the specified Barcode Scanner app?

Hi,

On my Nexus 7 2012 (Android 4.4.4) it doesn’t work. The app starts but stops immediately.

Regards Alain

So I just noticed some strange behavior. I installed the app, added a davice (my laptop) and then shared a folder on the laptop with the sync-browser. And then on the devices pannel in syncbrowser I saw that it now knows about the other device that the laptop is sharing that folder with. This loooks like a data leak from my understanding how syncthing should work. If I share a folder with A and B A should not know about my connection with B unless I want to.

It’s by design to support things like introducers etc.

Syncthing would leak existance of other devices one way or another, as you have meta data on the file indicating who made the last change, and other info that allows resolving conflicts that needs to stay there.

Oh, my bad then. I got the wrong impression.

Note that it only “leaks” what other devices share the same folders you do. If the other side has a folder you are not invited to, and devices they share that folder with, you’ll never hear about it.

exactly. So it’s not actually based on data to transfer, but on number of records… good enough anyway :slight_smile:

discovery should work… do you have a firewall configured, or anything else that may block direct tcp connection?

My app auto-add other devices from the cluster, after connection to the first device… this is less configurable than the desktop app, but easier to implement (less interface to build :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Nothing preventing connections, and it occurs to me now that should not be the issue, because a smaller folder between the two does work.

Does Anyplace save logs anywhere I could inspect?

@davide.Imbriaco

Do you mind making a release for those of us nondevs who are not using Gplay ?

thanks

And battery friendliness, yes we want that from our mobile apps.

I really dislike the way the Dropbox app works on smartphones.

1. pictures: yes seamless upload is great but then I have to manually chase pics on my phone to delete them after I sent them to long term storage. This was a nightmare for me, the current Syncthing app put an end to that.
  2. my notes and small files: where I live coverage is terrible and data connection is often unreliable. So Dropbox was more often than not useless to check my files. The current Syncthing fixed that as well by keeping an actual copy of the files alway on board.

So don’t kill the current app please! :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely not :wink:

2 Likes

The two actually work very well alongside each other. I use the “classical” Syncthing app to sync content that I generate on the phone (pictures, chat attachments, …) or that I consistently need on the phone (keepass database) and the “new” Syncthing app to selectively access the big folders like my picture, video and music collection.

2 Likes

I just tried Anysync on my previously failing enormous folder, and it now works. I have no idea why, but I won’t complain. It’s still processing (or still downloading?) the index, but at least now it’s not silently failing. Hurray! I should be able to get rid of Resilio Sync now.

1 Like

Firstly, thanks for creating the app!

Second, a couple of issues to report on both android 6 and 7.

last google play version allowed adding of clients but displayed no lists of files, nor reported an error.

The latest version on google play, now just has a black screen and appears to have locked up.

When I switch from the app to another and back again I see the request to access the sdcard from you app; I press yes, have access and the app locks up.

It suggest I report the instance which I do, but that also fails :frowning:

Thanks again for creating the app :slight_smile:

Edit: When I close the app and manually go into androids settings and enable the access it needs it starts fine; so seems to be having issues presenting the sdcard/storage permission request perhaps?

While the author may see your comments here, you should probably file the issues on Github.

Yes, I have already for one, but will also do for the second. Thanks

Is there still active development on this app? The app doesn’t seem to work on Android 8.0. You can browse, but if you select a file, the app crashes after loading the file is complete. Also posted on Github…

Awesome friend thanks for your support. :slightly_smiling_face: