Need a better NAS for running syncthing (2020)

I highly recommend XigmaNAS: Syncthing is preinstalled, and it is very stable. Much easier to configure and manage than FreeNAS. Any recent x64 PC will work.

Biggest advantage over hardware NAS like Synology: if the hardware dies, move the USB boot drive and HDD(s) to a new PC, power up and everything is online. Have had to do this, works flawlessly. Better: if you’re using ZFS, no need to worry about which channel each drive is on, ZFS will sort it out.

Worst case your USB boot drive dies, install on a new USB stick, restore the config and, voila! It works.

The major drawback is that the Syncthing version does lag slightly, and it does take a bit of work to manually update it, but it can be done.

It is estimating the first scan will take over a month.

Is it safe to restart syncthing periodically and/or reboot the NAS?

I’m not losing the progress it has done to that point, correct?

I’m trying to avoid wasting time by letting it go for two months only to find that the system crashed/hung and a whole month was wasted.

Just an idea, but you could do the whole initial setup on a different, more powerful machine, and then move both the files, the config, and the database to the NAS. This could speed up the process greatly.

Of course, do this only if you are confident in your technical skills and know exactly what you are doing.

Yes.

If ram and thus swapping is the limiting factor, you should disable progress indication (negative scanProgressIntervalS and progressUpdateIntervalS) and set maxFolderConcurrency to 1.

1 Like

I like having the Scan time remaining, as long as i see it changing, i know it is working and not hung up. Is it possible to have it not simplify to > 1 month, so i can watch for changes?

Can I ask what the folderconcurrency setting is for?

Your choice, but there’s plenty of other ways to see if its doing something (system monitoring). If swapping due to RAM occurs and disabling progress indication can lower the RAM usage enough to prevent excessive swapping, that means that a scan will take just a fraction of the time. The max concurrency setting limits the amount of folders, that can scan and sync at the same time.

From what the Synology resource monitor is showing, it looks like just CPU and hard drive due to scanning folders.

RAM usage is 68%, and ZERO Swap usage. Surprising due to how little RAM it has.

ok nice, then not. except maybe for the concurrency seeing if you have multiple files on the same harddisk

So after about 20 days of still trying to finish the first scan of the shared files folder it is up to about 400GB of 765GB.

The remote devices showed synced except for ~250MB for each device.

Then it did an update to syncthing to the v1.5.0

Scanning folder went back to 1% (but still shows contents on local state)

All remote devices had to resync all 750GB?

I hope that doesn’t mean the database had to start over and need to redo the lasts month of work.

The percentage is always measured as completed vs remaining for this pass. The already scanned stuff isn’t counted. You’re fine.

1 Like

Thanks, I did notice that the percentage is always for the current pass, just seeing all the remote devices redo the entire contents had me worried that the scan was going to be a complete scan rather than a remaining scan.

The scan is up to 9% after running overnight, so it is doing remaining, full scan takes much longer on this. LOL

Maybe in another month it will finally finish syncing. :rofl:

At least it is doing better than Syncthing on the even slower dlink NAS, all i get out of it so far is “context deadline exceeded”

Yeah so I’m going to repeat my recommendation for an actual computer instead.

Yes, I did add a smallformfactor Windows 10 machine to the group to act as a NAS.

The Synology has become an experiment to see if it will eventually be able to get up do date and stay current.

1 Like

First scan has completed.

Now to see how long Preparing to Sync takes… LOL

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.